The first jewelry luxury brand for high quality jewelry which actively supports the International Initiative to end Child Labor while offering better alternatives for (blood) diamonds.
1. Child Labour
There are worldwide over 211 million children between the age of 5 and 14 years old who are working. At least 60 million children are working under dangerous or abusiveconditions. (src.: http://www.endchildlabor.net)
Some examples worldwide are:
- In West Africa children are exposed to hazards while harvesting cocoa beans.
- In Burma, Columbia, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Sudan children serve as soldiers.
- In some parts of the world girls and boys are trafficked into prostitution.
- In Asia, Africa and Latin America children haul bricks.
2. Diamond Prices
Did you know that diamonds are not rare at all? In fact, compared to other gemstones , they are the most common precious stones. The only thing that would justify the price is the cut - but did you know that Zirconia stones look exactly the same? You can cut a zirconia stone like a diamond and you will not notice the difference.
Cubic zirconia stones are synthesized stones, which means no human or child has to physically work in order to find these beautiful gemstones. Plus they are 1000x cheaper than diamonds.
Charixa stands for building an sustainable and social brand - we develop breath-taking beautiful and extravagant jewelry at a low price without harming our environment.
"No one will produce what no one buys"
First and foremost WE ALL can stop buying from these companies that still use child labor. Some of the biggest companies are:
3. Philip Morris
5. Sports Direct
6. British American Tobacco
8. New Look
Secondly, we can start by supporting companies that are against child labor. Some companies are Adidas, Deichmann, ECCO, Puma and Coke. (src.: http://www.stopchildlabor.org)
Many child laborers work within the fashion supply, making the textiles, jewelry and garments to satisfy the demand of consumers in Europe, the US and beyond. Fast Fashion has engendered a race to the bottom, pushing companies to find ever cheap sources of labor.
Here are some examples of how children are exploited in the jewelry industry:
- Philippines: Children risk death to dig and and dive for gold.
- Zimbabwe: Rampant abuses in Marange Diamond fields
The movement #BehindTheBling encourages jewelers to ensure that their supply chain is free of child labor.
Learn more about it here.
The global jewelry market generates over 271 Billion USD - imagine if every jewelry company donated at least 10% of its profits, which will result in 27,1 Billion USD annually.
Hence we would love to become a sustainable jewelry brand which will donate 15% of its profits to the International Initiative to end child labor. Will you be a part of it?
Charixa will be the first jewelry brand worldwide that will actively support organizations against child labor and blood diamonds.
- By designing trendy and high quality jewelry pieces for women to create a demand.
- Manufactured in child-free manufactories with excellent employer conditionsincluding wage, working hours, hygiene and health.
- Donating 15% of the profits to the International Initiative to end child labor.
- Social Media campaigns to spread awareness about the subject.
- Boykotting diamonds completely. We use the stone Zirconia, an artificial stone which shines exactly like a diamond but doesn't have any blood on it.
The money will be used to build to design, develop and produce a high quality jewelry collection in order to grow as a company. The jewelry will be produced in reputable manufactories which provide excellent conditions for its adult employees.
All of our jewelry pieces are designed in-house in Germany - made out of 925 Sterling Silver jewelry and packaged individually.
1. Our designers designs some sample sketches that fit our theme. Our theme for the first collection will be "Kleopatra".
2. Our jewelry engineer will develop a CAD version for the manufactory.
3. Until the sample ring is ready to wear!
1. 925 Sterling Silver
We will use recycled and sustainable 925 Sterling Silver to produce our jewelry. This material is contains 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper.
Silver is the most reflective element - reflecting 95% of the visible light spectrum. Also, silver is stable in oxygen and water, but tarnishes when exposed to ozone which will cause a black sulfide layer. Unlike brass, silver doesn't cause any allergic reactions.
2. 18K Gold plating
We will only use ethical gold to plate our jewelry.
3. Zirconia Stones
Zirconia stones are artificially made crystals. Because of this we are able to recreate reflecting crystals like real diamonds. Plus zirconia are a lot cheaper and more ethical than real diamonds.
After a successful round of financing, my designer team will design 20 different extravagant and luxurious jewelry pieces. Supporters will receive an email in which they are able to vote for their favorite design. The top 10 jewelry pieces will be produced. There is a possibility that a supporter will not like the design - in this case she or he can wait for the next designing round and vote again. There is no guarantee that the jewelry will be liked by everyone - that's why we are giving you the chance to design with us!
By supporting CHARIXA we can start a global movement.
We can not stop consumption, but we can control what we buy. Please think twice before purchasing something on- and offline.
CHARIXA will offer stunning jewelry collections for women while supporting organizations to end child labor. Will you be a part of it?