Amended on 23 April 2014;
So as of today I only need £200.
I managed to change finally the required amount, too so now it reflects the new circumstances. Yesterday, I made a payment to my landlord of £300.
I’ve met with my landlord and reached an agreement that actually seems plausible instead of aiming at a 2000-payment without income :) in this agreement, I have to be perfectly on time with ACTUAL rent, that means on 30 April I have to pay the MAY RENT ONLY.
The £200 is the missing part if my May rent. I get no more benefits payment this month - the future payments will go to landlord and not my account, as part if the agreement.
Thus I’ll have to be on time with the difference between the benefit payments and my actual rent (because that’s how it is - the 100% benefit entitlement of a room in a shared accommodation, aka the “shared room rate” is actually NOT AT ALL ENOUGH to cover the AVERAGE monthly rent of a room in the same area. Rates differ per council/area.) So this seems possible though as next week I pay May (I HAVE TO) and from May onwards my landlord will receive bi-weekly the benefits, aka 2 payments and about 70% of the rent. Then last day of the month I will only need to pay the remaining amount which is 30%, £160. It equals 2 weeks of JSA+£15. (JSA = Jobseeker’s Allowance £72.40/week.)
I have concerns;
My benefits may get stopped because I had to report the new flatmate as a change of circumstance in my claim. In reality the flatmate does not mean a change in the amount I would be getting as 100% of my entitlement is still lower than my rent, but I have legal obligation to report else I commit a criminal offense. And there’s a Council Tax benefit that may be affected (for those US/Canada/etc: Council Tax is paid after the property & amount of adults living there. Properties are all rated in “bands” based on location/size. Mine is Band C. If a single adult lives there the CT is 75% of the “band rate” and if more adults, it’s 100% of the rate. As single adult, my benefit covered 98% of my 75%-of-band-rate. Now there’s 100% required and here’s an adult who has earnings which determines how much of the 100% is payable. My landlord is aware of this glitch, because it is too complex for my flatmate and I, to discuss how we’ll cover. The CT benefit is awarded/handled together with the housing allowance I get.)
The stop would be result of them asking for evidence to investigate and be able to determine what would be charged, eg his income etc. And we’re just waiting for the letter confirming what they need, if they need something - and that’s because calling them on the phone they could not tell and told me to wait.
Also, JSA can only be paid for 6 months, maximum at the rate of £72.40/week (from 1 April, before that it was £71.70/week.) After that there is something else, I’m afraid that’s lower. There’s an extreme stretch of my JSA now, since I get 2 payments per month, one is not enough to pay the remaining rent, and the other I use to cover the bills so this is still me selling stuff on eBay / Gumtree or something to make ends meet, even with the JSA entitlement, and selling belongings is not a trustable income besides it costs money (I hate eBay for that - IMO they steal from sellers charging 10% of even shipping costs when they already charged for the advert when you placed it, and you won’t get the value of your item even before the 10% charge. I’ll try gumtree, if you have ideas where to sell clothes and house stuff effectively, please let me know.)
But - for the next week, the only focus is get the remaining £200 together.
And of course to get a job ASAP :)
but for the first time in a long time I don’t feel like everything’s lost.
To everyone who helped, while I thanked you separately - thank you once more!! And to those who’ll help with this remaining amount in such a short time, thank you as well. I appreciate all the help and love and support I’ve been getting, it’s literally the only reason that kept me going and kept me from a mental breakdown in this past weeks.
PS - removed the previous description as it became outdated... the situation is no longer so dire :)