In just a few days, Tilda and I are travelling to Jordan to experience the Middle East for the first time. Since Jordan is one of the major destinations for Syrian civil war refugees, we feel duty bound to spend one week volunteering with a charity that distributes vital goods like clothing, wheelchairs and cooking implements to Syrian refugees living in Jordan.
The ongoing civil war in Syria has taken over 100,000 lives and prompted over two million Syrian citizens to flee to neighbouring countries. These refugees - many of them children - sadly face ongoing struggles to have their basic needs met.
Tilda and I are personally making a financial contribution of $1500 to this cause. We are hoping to raise an additional $1500 from you lovely people. Tilda and I will then meet with charity representatives in Jordan to personally purchase critically needed goods and deliver them to refugee recipients. Thus, you can donate with confidence because Tilda and I will be responsible for ensuring that 100% of the money is spent on buying much needed items for refugees.
When we are finished, we will report back to you, our donors, with photos and stories of the refugees whose lives we have all touched, and examples of the essential goods that all of our monies have provided.
Note: we are covering our own travelling and accommodation costs, so all of the money you donate will go towards refugees.
The charity we are partnering with is Helping Refugees in Jordan.
- We will be accepting donations until the end of May 13, 2014.
- On approx May 14 or 15 we will start a week of volunteering for Helping Refugees in Jordan, during which time we will purchase goods to deliver to refugees and provide proof of the same.
- Shortly after the week is over, we will provide example photos and stories of the refugees whose lives we have all touched, including examples of the essential goods that all of our monies have provided.
- Since this is a last minute idea of ours, Tilda and I will not have time to register as a charity. Unfortunately, this means we will not be able to issue you a tax receipt.
- You can pay via credit card or paypal. If you choose to pay by credit card, click 'buy as guest' towards the bottom of the popup to pay with your credit / debit card without having to signup or login with PayPal.