Help Risa Fight and Recover from Ruptured Aneurysm

Update posted by Joseph Kevin Chiong On May 09, 2019

Update As of May 9, 2019

After the angiogram, the prognosis of the doctor wasn't very encouraging. She is still currently in the ICU and is still mostly unconscious. She wakes up a couple times in a day but the doctors can't really say if she really is able to see much outside of shadowy figures. As of now, the doctor is still against performing the coiling procedure that is needed. This is due to the complicated nature of Ate Risa's condition. It was discovered that she is also suffering from atherosclerosis. In short, her arteries have become narrow and have hardened. What this really means is that if the procedure is performed, the doctor believes there is a 90% chance that she will suffer a cardiac arrest. Add to this, she is still dealing with pneumonia.

So, right now, the doctor is really just weighing the pros and cons of the available options; with none being great. As mentioned above, if they try to perform the coiling procedure now, the chances of survive aren't great. But the doctor is also worried that if we wait much longer, that wouldn't be any better either.

At this moment, there isn't much that we can do. She continues to be monitored and given medicines to address the different issues to try to keep her stable. It is obvious that the situation, especially with our human eyes, looks as grim as can be. And so we simply have to continue to pray and believe in a miracle. But above else, to trust and pray for God's will to be accomplished.

We are so grateful to everyone who has helped us through all this. We ask that you continue to pray for Ate Risa. It is in these dark times that God shows himself strong when we have faith in Him. We can only surrender our fear and pain to Him.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Joseph Kevin Chiong On Apr 30, 2019

Update As of April 30, 2019

Confirming what was mentioned in the update yesterday, Ate Risa underwent the angiogram earlier today, in the morning. She is currently recovering in the ICU. There is no word yet from the doctor regarding it. We are hoping that the doctor will have a clearer diagnosis by tomorrow. We ask that you continue to pray and believe with us for the best case scenario, whatever that may be.

As always, thank you for continued prayers and support during this time. And we ask that you continue to keep us in your prayers. If you haven't already, we also hope that you can share this with your friends. And if you wish to help us out financially, you can donate via the donate option in this page or you can also contact me directly.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Joseph Kevin Chiong On Apr 29, 2019

Update As of April 29, 2019

As was brought up in the previous update, she has now been moved to another hospital. She was transferred earlier in the evening. The angiogram will be performed in the new hospital. The latest information from the doctor is that she will undergo the angiogram tomorrow, April 30, 2019. She is still not fully conscious as she is still mostly asleep or has here eyes closed. But the doctors have given the go signal to perform the angiogram; they also probably don't want to delay it any further since it has already been more than a week since the rupture happened.

Again, the angiogram is simply to give the doctors an idea of the locations of the aneurysms and also to get an idea of the location and extent of the damage. There are no assurances that the doctors will be able to recommend a procedure/surgery to possibly address the problem. For now, we are simply thankful to have gotten this far. While there are still many issues to face, we are doing our best to focus on the immediate challenge in front of us. All we can do is trust God and surrender to His will.

As we all know, everything that has been done and will be done, requires a lot of money. In order to clear her release from the hospital earlier for her to be transferred to another one, we had to settle our accounts. The outstanding balance that we had to pay was close to 180,000 Philippine Pesos or 3,600 US Dollars. This is made up of 95,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,900 US Dollars for the hospital services and about 85,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,700 US Dollars.

In total, in the past week or so in the hospital, the total cost has been about 330,000 Philippine Pesos or 6,600 US Dollars. This breaks down as 190,000 Philippine Pesos or 3,800 US Dollars for the hospital services, 85,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,700 US Dollars for the doctors fees, and around 55,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,100 US Dollars for medicines. And while this is already a huge amount, the upcoming days will potentially introduce even more expensive procedures and treatments.The hospital services will continue, as will the needed medicines. The angiogram will possibly cost around 70,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,400 US Dollars. And if the doctors find a possible procedure to be performed, that could easily command 500,000 Philippine Pesos or 10,000 US Dollars.

We, as a family, have faced many challenges and battles throughout our lives. And this is true for all of us. Thus far, this is probably the most difficult one that we have encountered; to the my human eyes, the situation is as impossible as it gets. The medical side is terrifying, while the financial side is not much better. But we are thankful to everyone who has given us their support, whether financially or through encouragement and in prayer. Know that we are eternally grateful to you. We hope that you can continue to stand with us in faith to believe in a miracle.

If you wish to continue to support us financially, you can donate through the donate option in this page, or you can contact me directly as well. And I hope that you can also share this with your friends online and offline. Every single bit of help is needed and appreciated.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Joseph Kevin Chiong On Apr 28, 2019

Update As of April 28, 2019

As of today, the doctors have expressed that Ate Risa should be undergoing the angiogram within the coming week. This is because she is now waking up spontaneously. While hey are relatively quick episodes, it is still a huge step that she is able to open her eyes by herself. As mentioned previously, she is no longer needing the ventilator. While she still needs constant monitoring, she has been relatively stable; especially in contrast to the first 4 or 5 days.

In the coming week, she will be moved to a different hospital where the angiogram will be performed. This is going to take a lot of coordination because she is still in a very critical condition. There is concern that too much stress might cause another rupture in the aneurysms. I will update this page further once the details of the transfer will be finalized.

As always, discussing the financial aspects of the situation is very difficult; but is necessary. As mentioned above, she has to be moved to a different hospital. But before this can be done, the bills at the current hospital have to be settled. As of today, the outstanding balance is over 70,000 Philippine Pesos or about 1,400 US Dollars. This will be a little higher once she will actually be transferred. Besides this, the medicines are continually needed, which currently are at about 10,000 Philippine Pesos or 200 US Dollars per day. Additionally, the cost of the ICU room and care is almost 6,000 Philippine Pesos or 120 US Dollars per day. One of the biggest expenses that we will have to address though is the doctors' professional fees. For the past 7 days, she has been attended to by 4 doctors with different expertise. All in all, the estimated total cost is currently running to about 140,000 Philippine Pesos or around 2,800 US Dollars.

Besides the above expenses, the soon coming angiogram will cost around 70,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,400 US Dollars. After this, depending on the doctors' call, the procedure that is needed to address the actual problem may run to about 500,000 Philippine Pesos or 10,000 US Dollars.

Right now, I genuinely am not able to wrap my head around the bills and costs of all of this. My family and Ate Risa's family are stretching and doing everything we can to meet all of these payments. We continue to trust God and believe in His provision. And we thank those who have supported us thus far in whatever way. We are appealing to anyone who wants to support Ate Risa to help us meet the financial needs of her recovery.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Joseph Kevin Chiong On Apr 26, 2019

Update As of April 26, 2019 part 2

With regards to the previously mentioned plan to update with a current photo of her in the ICU, we are still unable to do so. It is against the hospital policy as well as Philippine law to take a photo of someone in the hospital without said person's consent. As she is still in an unconscious state, we do not yet have the ability to take a photo of her. It is our hope that in the coming days, if and when she is able to regain her consciousness, we will try to deliver on the promise of showing visual updates.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Joseph Kevin Chiong On Apr 26, 2019

Update As of April 26, 2019

According to the doctors, there are some signs of improvement. We praise God for that. And we want to thank everyone who has helped us out financially as well as in prayers. There are still so many mountains to climb, but in these situations, we have to appreciate the victories, big and small.

Ate Risa is still considered to be in a critical condition, as such, she has to continue her stay in the ICU. Doctors are still monitoring a ton of different things to keep her stable. She still isn't considered conscious enough to undergo the angiogram that is necessary to proceed to the next steps of diagnosis.

But for some of the good news and improvements. In the past day, the doctors and nurses have started to adjust the means by which she is breathing. Currently, they have removed the ventilator. She still continues to be supplied with oxygen via tube, but the removal of the ventilator is a considerable step. Meanwhile, in the same duration, her BP has also been relatively stable; it had been fluctuating the previous days. And maybe one of the best things so far is the fact that she has been able to open her eyes a few times in the past 24 hours. While it isn't for long (20 to 30 seconds at most), it is still an unbelievable sight to see. As hard as it has been, seeing her eyes again brought a smile to my face. While it doesn't seem like she is fully aware when her eyes are open, there is a sense that she is trying to focus on the person looking at her. So again, while these are small steps, we are thankful for them and continue to hope for more good news.

With all that said, the doctor has told us that there is a chance that the improvements will continue in the coming week. This is encouraging since the initially, the doctors had told us that they'd give her about 3 days to become conscious since the rupture happened. The 3 days, was actually this past Wednesday; and it is already Friday today. And as mentioned, the doctor has told us that they will extend and continue observation for another week with the hopes that she can be conscious enough to undergo the said angiogram.

We are thankful for this, and we are thankful for the support we have received thus far. But this also means that the financial costs will continue to soar and keep adding up. Since April 21, Sunday, until today, April 26, Friday, the total cost of the hospital bills has ballooned to over 250,000 Philippine Pesos or about 5,000 US Dollars. The daily hospital costs continue to be around 30,000-35,000 Philippine Pesos or about 600-700 US Dollars. Again, this simply covers the room, the nurses, the medicines, and the doctors' fees. Other miscellaneous costs like other supplies such as diapers and the like are not yet factored in. And of course, we have our own personal expenses like food. So we are looking at needing around 250,000 Philippine Pesos or 5,000 US Dollars for the coming week. We are also preparing in the hopes that she does become conscious soon. This means about 70,000 Philippine Pesos or 1,400 US Dollars for the angiogram, and further on, the potential procedure which will likely cost around 500,000 Philippine Pesos or 10,000 US Dollars. Any amount that you can spare is genuinely such a huge help to all of us.

Add a Comment

photo

Anonymous

Backed with ₱10000.00 On Apr 28, 2019

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Apr 26, 2019 Amount Hidden

photo

Guest

Backed with ₱500.00 On Apr 26, 2019

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Apr 25, 2019 Amount Hidden

photo

Anonymous

Backed with ₱2000.00 On Apr 25, 2019

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Apr 24, 2019 Amount Hidden

Add a Comment

photo

Joseph Kevin Chiong

Campaign Owner

flag Talisay City, Cebu, ph

send a message

photo

Mesut Bozkurt

Following Since Apr 29, 2019

photo

Charina Dizon

Following Since Apr 26, 2019

photo

Kaedrian Uy

Following Since Apr 25, 2019

photo

Kriss Ngo

Following Since Apr 24, 2019

photo

Joseph Kevin Chiong

Following Since Apr 24, 2019

Not Ready to Donate?

Did you know a 10 second Facebook share raises an average of ₱25?

Share on