My name is Jennifer Salatan and I created this fundraising account for my father who is currently suffering from stroke.
My father is actually one of the jeepney drivers who were greatly affected during the pandemic as he was unable to work due to lockdown for many months and was lucky enough to be allowed to drive again last August as his route was included in the list of allowed jeepney routes. Despite the fear for my father being exposed too much and the risk of him being infected of the virus, he still pushes through with his decision to go back to work as we really need an additional income in our household as my salary cannot support my family alone. However, we never expected that this decision will result to him being confined in a hospital and for him to undergo a brain surgery.
I know we are all suffering in the midst of the pandemic. But, I am humbly asking for your prayers and help in extending the life of my father, Manuel Salatan, as he has recently undergone “craniotomy and evacuation of hematoma” (a type of surgery to remove blood clot caused by stroke) in Capitol Medical Center.
To those who know me, I don’t usually share any of my problems in public. But I am in desperate need as the operation and medical costs would total to almost a million pesos as per doctors. We are still in the process of finalizing his bills but it is accumulating fast. As of October 20, our hospital bill already reached up to PHP 749,948.26 (PFs of the doctors are not yet included). You may refer to the tentative running bill and his medical abstract that I have uploaded here as well. We were actually asked by the hospital to make a down payment of at least PHP 400,000 within 48 hours and if we were unable to pay that amount, we will now be required to pay all hospital services and supplies that will be given to the patient on cash basis.
To give you a better background, I have added a timeline below:
- On my way home, I called my father’s number around 5:45PM to inform him that I’m already near at our meeting place so that we can go home already. I tried calling his number many times but he is not answering his phone until 6PM, someone already answered the phone and informed me that they found my father who is already stroke inside his jeepney beside the Sto. Domingo Church.
- This concerned citizen brought him to the Orthopedic Center but since his case was stroke, we decided to transfer him immediately to a different hospital that can help him.
- He was admitted into ICU immediately because he was considered PUI for COVID19 while tests are also being done in relation to the stroke he suffered
- CT Scan was done where it was seen that he had a large blood clot in his brain.
- Doctors advised us that an operation is needed as soon as possible to relieve his brain from all the blood clot as he is already vomiting and suffering from intense headache due to the blood clot.
- The doctors advise us to move him to a public hospital like Rizal Medical Center as they are worried that we will have a problem in our finances since hospital bill for brain surgery would be very expensive. We considered this option as we were scared as well since to be honest we don’t really have that kind of money however, we were advised that if we transferred my father, we will be the one responsible for checking availability in the hospital and if they will accept us since it will be hard to transfer patients from one hospital to another nowadays because of the pandemic, in short, there are no assurances at all.
- Even if we know that we cannot afford the operation, our family decided to continue the operation at Capitol Medical Center due to the fear that he might stay longer in ICU and the bleeding inside his brain might get worse instead of getting operated immediately.
- Doctors said they will check his condition again and availability of the neurosurgeon as they are also waiting for the swab test result before conducting the operation. But they gave us a tentative schedule already that he might be operated by October 12
- Sunday afternoon, we were updated that my father's COVID19 tests turned out NEGATIVE
- CT Scan was done again and doctors advised us that his blood clot became larger and bigger and they need to schedule him for operation immediately
- His surgery lasted for 4 hours and the doctors showed us the blood clot they took out from my father’s brain and it almost overflowed from the container.
- After surgery, we never saw my father as he was immediately taken back to his room in ICU but as per advise of the doctors, his condition is stable and would be under monitoring.
- We are still waiting for him to wake up and see what will be his body's response with the operation. We are only monitoring him through phone calls from the nurses and doctors, due to health protocols to be followed that’s why the worry in our family is so much as we cannot see and take care of him personally.
- My father is now fully awake, however, he can’t still speak properly and according to the nurses they can only hear his murmurs. But, good news is that my father can follow their commands.
- There are episode that his blood pressure is still getting high but they are controlling it using medicines.
- We were advised by the resident doctor that it’s possible for my father to be transferred in a regular room already as long as his BP becomes stable.
- There are still episodes that my father is becoming restless that results to his blood pressure getting high.
- My father started to be endorsed to Rehab.
- The nurses told us that they can understand little by little the words that my father is uttering. There are still parts that they cannot understand but they can talk to him now unlike the past few days.
- We are asking if we can already transfer my father in a regular room but as long as his BP is not stable, it is not advisable for him to move out from ICU, since they cannot monitor his BP closely in a regular room as much as how they monitor it inside the ICU.
- My father was already transferred in a regular room and his BP is still being closely monitored.
With all these mentioned, my family and I are hoping for all the help we can get. Even one peso and a prayer can manage to save the life of my father and ease our burden with his ongoing hospital bill. I know we are all facing challenges and your support really means a lot to me. As of now, I would like to thank everyone already who will help us in advance.
Jennifer Salatan – 0917 623 5989
For Financial Help:
Account Name: Jennifer Salatan
Account Number: 0111350297008
Account Name: Jennifer Salatan
Account Number: 4479 0765 67
Account Name: Jennifer Salatan
Account Number: 09176235989