Hi! My name is Maria Anna Klarissa Sardea, but people call me MAK which if you will notice, are my initials. I turned 16 last April 17, a '03 liner. Grade 11 student. By the way, I have 2 brothers but the other died when was only a baby, so, yeah here’s my story..
My parents have been worried about me when they realized that I'm getting older but I haven't experience menstrual period yet, that time I was only 14 or 15 but what made them worry is that because others started to have it around 12-13 but it was kind of set aside when other people suggested that I could just be a late bloomer or something, but yeah it reached to the point where I was almost turning 16 but still no signs so they decided to appoint for a check-up, fast forward, the doctor advised to take an ultrasound test and the results showed that I have a mass and like these cysts, diagnosed as Ovarian New Growth, the doctor then referred us to another doctor which specializes in this cases that happens usually in younger people, called Pedia-Obgyn.
So after arranging the schedule and everything, I had the check-up and she advised that I should undergo an operation sooner. That time it was February and she wanted to schedule it by March or April by the time the school year ends. My parents did not entirely agree with what she suggested because operation is their last resort, they won't let them do it unless it was really needed.
My parents decided to ask for a second opinion to another doctor which is a Naturopathic Medicine doctor, he then said that he would like to try removing the mass by natural means, until it will be smaller, by time, it should decrease in size, so we tried to take this medicines hoping for the best not to undergo an operation but it's already June and my mom decided to get an ultrasound again so we can see if there are changes in the size of the mass but unfortunately, it became larger, so yeah, after knowing the results my parents came to a decision that maybe we should have another check-up but this time with the Medical Director of the hospital that I was having check-ups with since she is already an expert with these cases.
To cut the story short, the only solution is OPERATION, the director even said that the first result of ultrasound test that I had last December 2018 was already enough to say that a surgery is needed. So of course, I had to calm myself because I am quite nervous, this was last June 17 or 18(?) and the schedule for operation is by the 27th, they wanted to do it earlier but she had to attend to some conference abroad which is an advantage in my part because I could mentally prepare myself. This is my first time having this surgery so it's natural to feel a little bit anxious about it.
Fast forward, it was successful, the mass and the multiple cysts were removed BUT the mass was said to be leaking when they removed it, they added that it's better that we did it earlier because they said if the operation was moved to another week then the mass would eventually break inside, hence, resulting to emergency surgery but yeah, the specimen were subjected for biopsy, in order to know if it was benign or positive for malignancy.
By the way, Senior High School should start by July 8 that time, but basically I was not advised to go to school right away so I had to attend after a week which was July 15, things are going well so far even if it's just the start but we are already so stressed because there are A LOT of things to do. I still never had a decent sleep when I started going to school again. So August comes and by the 12th of the month, we already have the result of the biopsy which states that it was positive for malignancy, the diagnosis is Sex Cord Stromal Cell Tumor-Favor Juvenile Granulosa Cell Tumor and positive malignancy for the peritonial fluid which is a rare case compared to other types of cancer.
People would usually ask, "Why would you still worry if it is cancerous when it was already removed?", yes but what about the fluid that leaked?, the peritoneal fluid is also positive for malignancy so that is why they were alarmed. After that, we went for another check-up with an Oncologist, doctor who specialized in cancer, and she said chemotherapy would be the best way to treat it as it "kills" the cancer cells in the body BUT THERE IS NO ASSURANCE that the cancer will not go back.
She also said that the drug that will be injected is VERY TOXIC which will definitely make my immune system weak, and also sometimes causes patients to die due to strong impact of the drug.
Another issue is that the doctors can't determine the exact stage of cancer that I have. We even asked other oncologists but they can't really give us a definite answer since it is a very rare case and that we need to go abroad for the tests needed. Imagine having all the doctors tell you different stages of cancer.
Currently, I had to drop school and I am now taking naturopathic medicines. Organic Foods, Proper Sleep, No Stress. Faith.
Now, I am pleading for prayers and some support so we can prepare for laboratories and treatments that I will face.
For bank donations please find details below:
Banco De Oro Account:
Melba Formaran Sardea