A call to support the poor in the slums and villages get higher education!
The Rural & Slum Education Programme is an upcoming nonprofit that seeks to improve lives and eradicate poverty through improving access to higher education access in Kenyan slums and rural villages. Our approach is to provide technology centers for the youth in the villages to enroll for cert/dip/ degree programs in various universities and study online. This approach has the following benefits:
1. Lower university fees (about half of typical fee)
2. Students can stay home and take care of their parents/children (favors those with young children, with aging/ailing parents etc.
3. Eliminates the cost of living expenses in town – you don’t need to leave the village
4. Those who support themselves through farming can still work on their farms
Majority of colleges and universities are located in the urban centers and many youth in the villages cannot afford the high cost of living in the cities. Tuition fee is also higher when attending school physically. Some are herders and remain at home to take care of their family’s cattle which is their main source of income. It is by luck that some even complete secondary education. Higher education is especially unattainable for girls in most remote communities and worst of all, orphans (across the country).
A mind is a terrible thing to waste (anonymous)
We will provide learning centers where the youth will register and take online courses from accredited universities which will enable them to access quality university education while avoiding the prohibitive costs associated with living in town.
Our centers will also be used for
- Career guidance and training
- Community resources centers for capacity building, empowerment, and awareness
We are fundraising to cover the initial costs of registration.