In 2017 one of our first adventures as qualified nutritionists will be volunteering in rural Fiji, providing public health education to disadvantaged communities, with a focus on diabetes. 1 in 3 Fijians are diabetic, these numbers are expected to rise in the coming years. With obesity and heart disease also on the rise, involvement volunteering international started a programme where skilled volunteers help to educate Fijian's on how to prevent and manage these chronic diseases.
This programme provides the following services to communities, free of charge;
- Nutritional consultations
- General health assessments (blood pressure, fasting glucose testing, anaemia/iron testing, weight/height measurements etc)
- Children's health and education (particularly focusing on protein deficiency)
- Educational assistance and talks (healthy eating, physical activity, sexual health and disease prevention)
- Family health empowerment (house visits)
- Fitness and exercise programs
These funds will go towards programme fees and clinical resources needed to make these services possible! By funding this programme you are providing those less fortunate then yourself with the basic health and education aid that we take for granted.
Any contribution will be helpful, Thank you!