Dear friends, colleagues and extended community
Please help me raise $2500 in start-up funds to launch my business, East of the Sun Studios! The business structure consists of two interdependent studios, one for actor training and one for yoga and wellness. Yoga classes and a weekly actor's performance laboratory are being offered immediately. I will launch one-on-one artist development coaching by March. A formal actor's training program is in the planning stages and several workshops and one retreat are slated for launch later this year.
I urgently need to raise $2500 to register my business in Hungary, secure my studio space and purchase basic equipment so that I can open my doors.
The $2500 will cover the following:
- $200 court registration fees for opening a Hungarian business
- $400 minimum capital deposit required by Hungarian law when opening a business of my type
- $1000 to secure my studio space for January and February
- $300 lawyers fee for business registration process
- $400 - $500 studio equipment (yoga supplies, lighting, teaching materials)
- $100 website domain and local marketing
Registering my business opens many doors and resources for me such as access to EU business loans and marketing platforms. It also makes me legal to work in the EU which opens the door to contracts with schools, universities, theatre companies and other yoga studios.
Donating to my campaign will help me launch a worthwhile business that will serve my local community well and also help me establish my livelihood in my new country (I moved to Hungary in April with my mother).
Details on my vision and philosophy for the business, my professional background supporting it, and what I plan to implement can be read below. FAQs can be read further down.
Thank you all for any contribution you are able to make! Even the smallest donation helps so much.
BUSINESS VISION, PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND, PHILOSOPHY & IMPLEMENTATION OF SERVICES
This innovative studio is a vision I have been nurturing and developing for many years. It combines exceptional actor training, drawing on both Eastern and Western performance practices, with a foundation in yoga and holistic wellness to support actors pursue careers in a challenging industry. This is an approach to actor training that has never been done before and I hope it will generate interest and discussion in the international theatre community with the potential towards becoming a recognized actor training method. In this approach I am marrying what I consider the best of the several methods and modalities I have trained in.
I also have a strong commitment to making yoga available to the general public, so classes and workshops will also be available to non-actors.
My rich and extensive background as a performer, teacher, director, and yoga practitioner informs this project. I have over 30 years experience in the performing arts as a classical singer, dancer and choreographer, and theatre director with extensive experience as a teaching artist at the university level and with children aged 4 to 12. I hold an M.A. in Theatre from New York University and B.A. in Psychology from the American University in Washington, D.C. I trained in classical vocal technique at the Peabody Conservatory and later studied privately with vocal coaches in New York specializing in Early Music.
I am a certified yoga instructor with training in Ayurvedic massage and a 20 year private practice. My M.A. was followed by a year at the Laban Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laban/Bartenieff_Ins...) and later by graduate studies in somatic psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatic_psychology).
The two most significant influences on my approach to theatre and performance are my training in classical Indian dance drama with the renowned dancer Ritha Devi (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/arts/dance/rith...) and in Richard Schechner's Rasaboxes method (http://rasaboxes.org/about/). These two performance paradigms impressed me profoundly with their integration of the performer's body, mind and spirit and their capacity to create performance environments where embodied emotion leads to realization through communal participation between performer and audience. Both traditions form the core of my work and are enhanced by my expertise in the embodied self, space as a living component of performance, and the power of movement in universal communication, transformation and healing.
My teaching style is pioneering and creative. I integrate traditional methods and a respect for structure with an open approach to the individual inquiry of the student. Establishing this studio is the best form through which to share my skills and attract the students who will benefit most from studying with me. Hungary has very few actor training programs and my studio will offer young actors an opportunity to train which they might not otherwise have. It also offers retreats and workshops for professional actors wanting support in their artistic development and a different experience with theatre than what they were trained in and currently work with.
Theatre originated, both in Greece and in Asia, as a healing community ritual. For actors to fulfill that purpose, which is a noble one, they must be trained with the proper nurturance and support and given the best tools with which to be both outstanding performers and whole as individuals. This is the core of what I want to implement with this project which has grown out of my many years of teaching experience and the many conversations I have had with actors regarding the nature of their training.
Yoga, like theatre, is a collective body/mind practice, which is why the two complement one another so well. The yoga side of my business will feature both specialized yoga classes for actors to enhance their training and regular yoga classes for the general public. For actors, it supports their health holistically throughout a career where their body and emotional range are their primary instruments. General classes also increase my potential revenue and will help support the business as it grows.
My programs will be taught in English to make them accessible to students of all nationalities.
Here are the core services I plan to implement in 2018:
- A weekly performance laboratory and several preliminary workshops introducing the content and format of the proposed 3 year actor training program to potential students. This outreach will be accompanied by assessment to ascertain the viability of the proposed program with the target populations.
- Workshop outreach to universities and theatre companies throughout the EU, Eastern Europe, Turkey and Georgia to share my actor training methodology and build connections
- 10 day wellness and artistic development retreat for professional actors
- 4 week workshop exploring theatre as a spiritual practice, "Theatre Towards Enlightenment"
- Regular Yoga & Wellness classes for non-actors
- The first of a series of workshops, "Mastering the Art of Sacred Space", on the implementation of intentional sacred space as a tool for personal and professional development in the 21st century, (this will be my signature program series for a variety of audiences)
CONCLUSION & THANKS
I believe passionately in this project and I am completely committed to nurturing it and ensuring its success. My studio will serve both the local community in Budapest and the international community as I do outreach workshops throughout the EU and host guest practitioners who share my vision and orientation. I feel confident that within two years I will be in a position to approach potential patrons from among the A-list actors who support this kind of project.
But now, at this moment, I need your help and support to make this first step and raise the necessary funds that every business needs to get off to a healthy start.
I am so excited to begin teaching and I have so much to offer as an experienced teacher, but I cannot open my doors to students until my business has been registered.
Only with your generous donations can my vision for this project become a reality!
Thank you all so much for visiting this page, taking the time to consider my campaign and for any support you are able to give!
ANSWERS TO FAQ
Why should you donate to my campaign?
- You will help me launch a unique performing arts~body/mind organization that I have worked for years to develop, which can serve a variety of clients and bring a new vision of actor training to the international theatre community
- You will help me get legally established as a business owner in Hungary with access to business loans and the legal right to market my services in the EU
What will your donations fund?
- Business registration fees
- Minimum business capital deposit required by Hungarian law to open a business
- Lawyer's fee (my lawyer has been giving me her services pro-bono until now)
- Website, branding and marketing
- Studio rent (the studio is an extension of my apartment)
- Studio equipment
- Travel costs and outreach
What are my campaign objectives?
- Legal registration of my company in Hungary
- Obtaining legal employment status in the EU
- A stable foundation from which to contract with other organizations, obtain business loans through EU banks and legally market my services
Why am I launching a business in Hungary?
- The organization I want to create is ideal for this region and Hungary is in a central location to the institutions and communities I want to have access to
- I am of Hungarian descent on my father's side and am eligible for Hungarian citizenship
- To create bridges between the theatre and yoga communities in the U.S. and the EU and open more doors for practitioners to meet, collaborate and teach
What will you receive if you donate?
- All donations of $15 or more receive a customized reading from my online business, West of the Moon Rituals (https://www.etsy.com/shop/WestoftheMoonRituals) - see adjacent details. As a donor to this campaign, you will receive high-end readings for a significantly lower cost than you would as a paying client.
- Anyone who donates $50 or more will receive Patron acknowledgement as a supporter of my organization
- Donations of $100 and $500 receive permanent patron acknowledgement and a scholarship retreat or workshop given to a deserving student in the donor's name
What is the vision of my business and what services will it provide?
I am a theatre director, yoga practitioner, and master teaching artist. I want to establish a unique organization that integrates theatre and yoga training to serve actors and non-actors through a dual studio structure. One studio, The Studio for BodyMind Theatre, will provide high-quality actor training and artist development to the international theatre community. The other studio, The Studio for BodyMind Wellness, will provide classes and programs in Yoga, Ayurveda, and other wellness related topics to the general public. Both studios will feature at least one annual retreat. My long term goal is to create a permanent retreat center for the retreat programs.
The dual studio structure is designed to support a for-profit business model. State funding in Hungary for theatre companies and theatre schools is difficult to obtain for many reasons. By combining the theatre studio with a yoga studio, I hope to ensure a stream of income to support the theatre work and make the artistic side of my business self-sustaining. Within the next three years, I plan to open a third studio, The Wellness & Beauty Souk, featuring high-end holistic wellness products to generate further revenue. It will be a niche studio featuring products that are difficult to obtain in the EU and my own line of aromatherapy products.
Hungary has very few actor training programs. There is only one in Budapest. With this studio I will be creating alternative training opportunities for Hungarian actors, opening up new channels with the theatre community throughout the EU, and bringing more commerce into the Hungarian economy, which needs new businesses like mine to thrive. The actor training program will be open to actors of all nationalities and will be taught in English, which will prepare actors for auditioning in the English speaking theatre and film industries, an advantage they badly need. Actors training under me will also receive a foundation in holistic wellness to support them in their careers in what is a very challenging industry. In the near future, I want to create a master class series to feature outstanding actors wanting to share their craft.
The Studio for BodyMind Wellness will offer regular yoga classes and seminars in Ayurvedic wellness. I will also offer a signature workshop series on sacred space, which is the underlying principle to all my work.
Hosting guest practitioners from the U.S. to open up dialogues between American and European practitioners is another important aspect of my vision.