My family and myself were made ill by toxic mold in our home and we had to live between friends and families homes and to whom would open their doors. Our apartment management will not and have not assumed responsiblity for their neglect to remedy the situation.
Being homeless is one step above living in mold. I felt like our choice was between homelessness and death. We chose to be homeless with two adults, three kids and a dog. It's not the easiest thing to do, especially knowing your about to bring another life into this world.
My whole family was sick to a certain extent but it really seemed to take a toll on our children. We have experienced everything from rashes, headache, ear infections and pain, chronic sinus infections, chronic broncitis, pain in joints and muscles, hair loss, and the list could go on. My son is 8 and went from being completely healthly to being on 3 breathing treatments a day, and 2 inhalers. My twin's who are 2 were on 3 breathing treatments a day.
We have now been out of the home since 8/18/2013 and our health has significantly improved. The kids are no longer experiencing the breathing issues and a weight has been lifted.
The funds we are trying to raise is to get out on our feet. We put all of our funds into getting out of the horrible situation we were in and breaking our lease with our apartment complex.
Once we are on our feet we plan on making the apartment complex be held responsible for the health issues, and mental and physical conditions our family and families like ours are going through.