Who am I and why am I raising funds?
Am a 53 year old male and a father; I lost my job at the end of 2016 and I could not secure another position. I was evicted from my home in June 2018 and have being living in my car on the streets of Cape Town since the beginning of 2019 (5 months now); I eat irregularly, have no ablution or bathing facilities and can only get online to search for work, write my blog, check emails etc. about once a week for an hour or so.
To read more about me please go here:About Me
Two days ago two major events occurred; firstly I was offered a job up n West Africa which I eagerly accepted and secondly I ran out of money, i.e. not a single penny left.:
The reason for this campaign to raise funds to get me out of my car, off the streets and to enable this job opportunity to come to fruition.
Right now I am moving right out of my comfort zone and doing something quite unique for me; I am asking you for your help.
How did this happen?
In 2016 I was retrenched and could not secure another position; in order to survive I utilized my savings and maxed out my credit card. My monthly payments consisted of, among other things, maintenance to my ex wife, school fees and living expenses for my 14.5 year old son, insurance policies, medical aid, loan repayments, home rental (and all utility bills) travel expenses, internet / phone, mobile phone, plus the usual day-to-day living expenses such as those important items like FOOD! I also supported an older brother and subsidized my father’s government pension.
When my savings were depleted, I cancelled the medical and insurances, sold most of my personal belongings including, wedding ring, family heirlooms, cameras, items of clothing, furniture and sports equipment.
When I eventually could not longer pay for the apartment, a legal process ensued and I was, after a period, evicted. I sold what I could of the house hold items, but as I had nowhere to store any of the big items, I simply locked the door, climbed in my motor car and drove away. I am fortunate enough to have some of my most valuable items stored in a warehouse for me.
When was this?
That was eleven months ago; 02 June 2018 when I walked away from my apartment
And you have had absolutely no work since the end of 2016?
Just after I was evicted last year, I undertook a project for a retail sports store and one for a large Pharmacy which enabled me to rent a room for a while, however once the projects were complete and that money ran out at the end of 2018 I began to live in my car permanently.
Over the last 5 months for income, I have painted an apartment, driven a truck for a few days, done manual labor on a building site, drawn up a business plan for a start-up and accepted a few personal loans.
Please note, this is extremely important and not negotiable
I keep my identity anonymous as I do not want to embarrass my son or Father, but I do exist and am not a fictional character. I write a blog https://positivelyhomeless.wixsite.com/mysite-1/his-blog in which I describe my days and my mood, express my wishes and desires, and generally write whatever I am feeling at the time.
I have spoken on the radio on 3 occasions regarding my situation and experiences, firstly with Pippa Hudson at Cape Talk on the 28 January 2017 – the segment was called our throwaway society, (the link is the podcast) which discussed retrenchment and the feelings of despair, resentment as well as depression and loss of self respect and dignity that one feels. On two other occasions also on Cape Talk, I have spoken with John Matham, once just before I was evicted and the second time, two months ago as a follow-up.
Please feel free to contacted me directly if you which to ask any questions, offer advice or simply want to know more about my predicament. [email protected]
My experience so far
Since been on the street, I only see my son every month or so, I spend 90% of my time alone and in the vehicle. I have been attacked twice and robbed and had my car vandalized.
My current weight is 78kg, down from 100kg.
Without electricity it is challenging to seek employment, I am able to work online only when I can afford coffee at a local coffee shop, where I can plug in my laptop and work for an hour. This is on average about once a week.
I am mentally strong but need a hand right now; this position is a short term project but more importantly a foot-in-the-door opportunity for me. If it were not for this opportunity, I would not be asking for help.
What do I need the money for, how will it be utilized?
I know I am asking for a lot of money, I have itemized all that I require with prices and the total amount is more than double what I am asking. The fact is, I am starting over again with next to nothing.
With just on 5 weeks to go before the project begins I need the following:
- To rent a room where I can shower, sleep in a bed, recuperate and work.
- Be able to eat regularly and eat nutritional food in order that I can regain my physical strength (and hopefully some weight) before the start of the project.
- Purchase clothes – I have a few items with me but they have been extremely well worn over the last 11 months; with washing them only every 2nd month or so and with wear and tear they are threadbare and not suitable to for me to present myself at work in.(They also hang on me like a sack!!)
- Tools for work: A scale rule, 8m tape, a laser measurement tool, stationary and a bag to carry it all in and be presentable. (The basics to manage the project apart from a laptop and specific software)
- A new laptop. The Dell I am currently using is 9 years old and was packed away in storage until my MacBook "died". Although functional for it's current use (send and receive e mails, and write my blog) it will not suffice for work, it is it is extremely slow and prone to freezing and with programs such as Auto CAD and Photoshop hardly operates at all. This is a tool for work; for drawings, spread sheets, site photographs, MS Projects and e mail.
- A hard drive for back up of all work.
- A mobile phone – my phone was stolen in an attack and robbery in November 2018, I currently use a borrowed very old and very slow phone, and although functional, it will be a hindrance in communicating during the project.
- Luggage, towels and toiletries.
- A battery for my car as well as a valet; my car has been stationary with a dead battery for almost 5 weeks now, and you can imagine the state of it having been parked under tree for 5 months and having someone living in it!! A good service would also be greatly welcomed.
- Various items that my son requires.
- Importantly: funds to see me through from now until the start of the project and my first month on the project in West Africa.
- Medical: Medication for Psoriasis that I have not had in 10 months as well as a visit to the dentist to alleviate the discomfort of a broken tooth that occurred several months ago.
Whoever has read this far, whether you make a donation or not, thank you.
Whatever funds are raised will go toward re-building my life and giving my son back his Father