Hi, I am Sofie. I’ve always been a “jack-of-many-trades” - at least, for a great part of my adult life. And it’s never been easy for me to identify myself with a name of my profession (whatever it was). It was like: Yes, I am doing this but it's not me! Have you ever felt the same?
And this started to change for me these last days. I’ve been doing a lot of painting last three years: went to places purposefully to paint, took almost a year in total at an art school to improve my skills and then a whole year of more serious academic courses at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, Italy. I always have my sketchbook with me. And it reminds me of my earlier time, when I was doing the same when I was 17 years old. But then for some reason, I stopped…
And now I tried several times saying to myself: "I am an artist”. And it looks like it works!
So, I am an emerging artist, a painter, I also like drawing with colored and simple pencils and making quick sketches of people and animals around (before they find some other stuff to do and run away…)
And maybe one day, I’ll go further to make also some more complicated things like installations and 3D art - I’ve been fascinated by some works of this kind that I've seen.
Some of my works from the last 3 year
And now I have a problem.
I am very determined to become a great artist (why to be something if not to be great?) and I believe I have a potential to grow into one. But to achieve this I need to study. I need to improve and practice my vocabulary to be able to say what I have to say.
Some of my people drawings from school (and not only)
And here I ask for your support.
I am going to enter a 3-year full-time bachelor program at the School of Painting at Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, where I already took some single courses last year. I am not eligible for public scholarship since this is only for those who are getting their first higher education (and I already have one). These last months have been tough and finding part-time jobs and clients while devoting your time to studying has become even more challenging than ever. I keep trying but deadlines for some payments are coming closer...
I ask you to support me in reaching my goal by giving a donation (of any size that looks fair to you) to help me get through my 1st year of studying in this program, or a part of it. And I will do my best to make my art even better and bring it out to the world!
My drawings from this summer. Have been doing them a lot - mostly to train my hand and eliminate some mistakes that my profs helped me reveal during my last year of study. But also because I like it :)
On my part, I promise that during this year I:
- will put the most into improving myself as an artist
- will continue sharing my new (and old) art publicly on my Facebook and Instagram page and on my website , which I’ve been doing regularly for more than a year now, and you are welcome to follow!
- will make at least one offline exhibition (by myself or with fellow students) with free access for all; or more if I manage it
And not only for this year:
- will never forget that art should be more than just making something “nice” and “pleasant to see” and never stop looking for valuable senses and explore a role that art can play in life and society
- will work hard and become a great artist so that one day you can be proud that you supported me at my start!
My Budget Breakdown
My Maximum (Ideal) Goal - cover an academic year (10 months) of studying + tuition :
- tuition for a year : €1800
- school enrollment state tax : €102.93
- regional tax "for the right to study" : €140
- living costs (room rent + very economic living + art supplies) for 10 months in Florence : €1000 per month x 10 = €10 000
- costs to get my residence permit for the next year (including taxes, med insurance, etc. - roughly the amount that I spent to get it last year) : €300
Sub-total : €12,342.93
Platform fees for my fundraiser will make 6.9% + €0.30 per donation. I suppose that possibly most donations will be not very big but some of them might be bigger :) , so assuming the latter will be ~ €1 per each €100.
Thus, adding to cover platform fees: €12,342.93 x 6.9% = €851.66 + €132 = €983.66
Total (ideal goal) : € 13 326.59
That would be just great!
My Medium "Necessary Now" Goal - cover the 1st payment of my tuition (€900) + taxes (due Oct 10) + residence permit costs + €6 000 that I have to demonstrate in order to get the residence permit - this is a law :
- 1/2 tuition + taxes : €900 + €140 + €102.93 = €1 142.93
- residence permit costs : €300
- amount that I need to have to get residence permit : €6 000
The last two are due end of October - beginning of November
Sub-total : €7 442.93
Platform fees : €7 442.93 x 6.9% = €513.56 + €79.6 = € 593.16
Total ("necessary now" goal) : € 8 036.09
Will help me get going right now without too much trouble
My Minimum Goal :
No such one!
Any help is valuable and much appreciated!