On April 9th, as a result of what I can only describe as woeful malpractice, I passed out at Kitamoto Kyosai Hospital. The impact resulted in a cut on the side of my head which needed to be stapled closed and upon getting a second opinion, I was diagnosed with a Brain Contusion and Acute Subdural Hematoma.
I was hospitalized for 7 days and have been slowly healing at home since. My last CT has shown the swelling in my brain has gone down and the bleeding has dissipated. The dizziness and headaches are still a problem but they will likely slowly dissipate as I continue healing. I've also begun physiotherapy to ease the whiplash pain in my neck. While there is still a ways to go, things are getting better on the healing front. The other side of this injury that I should never have gotten however, is the financial burden that is piled on top of the injury.
Apart from the large and still rising medical costs, I've been unable to work for a month and won't be able to do all that much for the rest of this month, meaning, all the regular bills I have to pay are also piling up. I've used what little I have left of the money from my last job before the injury and my wife is basically emptying what little savings she has to pay for everything.
In another country I'd already have the law on my side to get the hospital responsible for this to pay but the information we've gotten thanks to the help of my friends who know lawyers in Japan shows that just getting lawyers to research the case will cost more than the medical bills and even if we go to court, the system here rules against victims of malpractice 75% of the time and the 25% who do succeed don't get awarded enough to pay for their medical costs let alone the legal fees.
Which leaves me with only one other option, and that is to ask for your help, because the simple truth is that we just can't afford this.
The basic breakdown of the ￥600,000:
- ￥300,000 for medical. (This is the priority.)
- The total cost of the medical thus far is around ￥230,000 most of which was the week I was hospitalized and the multiple MRI and CT scans I've had.
- Going forward I still have a lot of physiotherapy to get through, may need a few more meds and will have (hopefully just one) more MRI or CT scan before this is finally done.
- ￥300,000 for bills for two months. (Secondary to the medical bills.)
- Basically 2/3rds of the minimum I'd make a month, for 2 months.
- It's to cover my half of the household bills.
- My car insurance and car tax payment.
- And the mandatory medical insurance and pension payments I need to make to the government.
- It's not covering food/transport costs.
The totals are rounded off, but If you'd like a more detailed breakdown to see how I I came to those numbers, I can send you an email.
I understand that most of the people I know are like us, basically living from paycheck to paycheck and so if you can't help out I understand, but those of you who can spare a little, every little bit will help.
If you're living in japan and would prefer to help out offline, here are my PostBank details:
Bank Name: Japan Post Office Bank (ゆうちょ銀行)
Account Name: MOODLEY NAYALAN DHARSHAN
Account Number: 10210-27972351
Account Type: Futsuu (普通)
Thanks to all of you who have shown your support through this difficult stage in my life.