Help CJ beat cancer

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 19, 2020

CJ’s doctor informed me that his current treatment (Besponsa) did not work to control his cancer, the tumor continued to grow. They asked us if we continue to try other treatments or stop and let the cancer run its course. We prayed over this as a family and decided we should continue with other treatments. We will not give up on CJ. I asked CJ earlier and he told me he wants to continue.

Please help us to storm heavens for CJ’s deliverance from cancer and for God to give wisdom to his doctors on the type of drug to treat him.


PS: CJ starts a new treatment - FLAG. See more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAG_(chemotherapy)

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 17, 2020

I won’t lie. The past weekend was tough. CJ had a high fever and suffering from nausea thus he could not eat. On Sunday evening, it turned worst as he had an acute stomach pain and the fever peaked to 40C. This is a symptom we watch out for as this could mean a rupture in his intestines. My wife immediately called me and I rushed to the hospital. Along the way, what comforted me was the thought that many friends were praying with us, praying for CJ.

The NUH doctors and nurses are really on the ball, they immediately assessed if there is blockage or rupture in his intestines. To control the symptoms, they put CJ on antibiotics and painkillers. CJ’s fever subsided at 9pm and the doctor assessed that it is not a rupture. However, they ordered an urgent CT scan and a battery of tests to make sure.

Thanks for all your prayers and your support. Having friends, family and a Christian Community for support is indeed a blessing!

Today is a NEW day for CJ. he looks very different from what we saw yesterday (even his nurses agree 😀). I took this photo minutes before he went for CT scan.

We keep on hoping and praying for better days ahead!

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 12, 2020

Today is an interesting day.

I had recently been told that my youngest daughter, Blessie, is not a match for CJ. Doctors have told me that the best chance of a match is with siblings but that isn't happening for us.

Thankfully, that is not the end of the story. The cancer center has found 2 potential matches in the stem cell bank. Further tests are needed to identify the best donor for CJ.

Please continue to pray with us as you always have. I am grateful. I am hopeful.


PS: We are applying for financial support from the Singapore Cancer Society as well.

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 07, 2020

As NUH also restricts visitors due to the ongoing health concern, CJ keeps in touch with his friends on-line.

CJ also just finished his 3rd dose of Besponsa. So far he was able to managed the nasty side effects.

As his brothers cannot be his Stem Cell donor, we are now testing his sister and we expect the results in 2 weeks time. Meanwhile, his doctors they are also searching the blood bank registry for a match.

I also check if we can get friends and other family members to be tested, NUH advised against this the potential for matching is very low and the test will cost money. Besides, we are already checking the registry in Singapore and worldwide.

We are also waiting for NUH to provide an updated estimate for the Stem Cell Transplant cost. They initially provided a range of $15-30k thus we started with a $20k target for funding. NUH cannot provide an updated estimate as this is dependent on who will be the stem cell donor. If we can get a donor from the family, the cost will lower. However, if we get an outside donor, the cost will be much higher (I was told could be cost as much as $50-100k). I will update our target as soon as we get an official advise from NUH.

Thanks again for all your support!

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 05, 2020

Yesterday, we received news that CJ’s older brothers, JJ and Michael, cannot be his donors. We are now looking to see if his sister, Blessie, will be a match.

She wasn’t part of the earlier tests as she is a minor. Please pray with me that Blessie’s test results will be positive. Meanwhile, the cancer center is also looking for a match in the stem cell bank.

Some of you have stepped forward to be tested. I thank you for that. I clarified with the Cancer Center and they advise against it as the chance is slim and testing cost is not small (~$300). The best chance of a match is with siblings, which we are already doing.

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 03, 2020

Hi all,

One of CJ's chemo drug now is Besponsa. I realized this is expensive, ~$13k/dose and is not applicable for gov't subsidies. I have asked the doctor if there is a generic version but i doubt there is as this is new (2017). Anyone connected to the medical industry who can perhaps help us get a discount on this?

Thanks in advance!

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Feb 01, 2020

Dear All - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! We are overwhelmed by the response and all your support, We managed to raise some $21,000 in just a few days!

All your donations will help fund CJs treatment, specifically his Stem Cell Transplant (SCT).

His two older brothers were are now being tested if they can become donors. We will know the result next week.

We will continue to update you on the progress of his treatment.

Again, in behalf of CJ and our family, THANK YOU!!!

- John Tallas


Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Jan 31, 2020

CJ gathered his strength to walk back and forth the ward this afternoon. Though he has very little intake of water and milk each day for more than a week. 💖

Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Jan 30, 2020

Had another dose of chemo yesterday using some powerful medicine.

Thank you Papa God that CJ is not nauseated.

Medicine used - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotuzumab_ozogamici...


Add a Comment

Update posted by John Anthony Tallas On Jan 29, 2020

1. Is CJ’s treatment covered by insurance? How about medisave?

photo

As of now CJ only has MediShield left. His total Medical Bills is already more than $170,000. He has depleted his private insurance (as my dependent) and my Medisave (which is not much as we got our PR only in Dec 2018).

John Anthony Tallas

Update posted by Jan 29

Add a Comment

SHOW MORE UPDATE
photo

Praying for CJ, John, and your family!

Donna Mulcahy

Backed On Feb 20, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Catherine Pagulayan

Backed with $250.00 On Feb 19, 2020

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Feb 19, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Feb 18, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Praying for you CJ! Be strong! Jim and Jada Hill

Guest

Backed On Feb 12, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Stay strong CJ and family! I’l continue to include you in my prayers.

Leklek Villanueva

Backed with $100.00 On Feb 12, 2020

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Feb 07, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Florinda Arboleda

Backed with $50.00 On Feb 07, 2020

photo

Good luck John. From all the Newcastle PG chemicals team.

Newcastle Chemicals Team

Backed with $150.00 On Feb 07, 2020

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Feb 07, 2020 Amount Hidden

SHOW MORE COMMENTS
Add a Comment

photo

John Anthony Tallas

Campaign Owner

flag Singapore, sg

send a message

photo

Edwin Lin

Friend and Media Manager

send a message

photo

Len Tallas

Aunt Fund Accountant

send a message

photo

MalouNoelChloe Bautista

Following Since Feb 19, 2020

photo

Adonis Jagorin

Following Since Feb 15, 2020

photo

Amit Khemchandani

Following Since Feb 05, 2020

photo

Sweta Mehra

Following Since Feb 02, 2020

photo

Nguyet Chu

Following Since Feb 01, 2020

photo

Cesar Gaspar

Following Since Feb 01, 2020

photo

Randy Pastolero

Following Since Jan 31, 2020

photo

Felipe Stortini

Following Since Jan 31, 2020

photo

Marlyn Cordero

Following Since Jan 31, 2020

photo

Arvin and Marzen Villanueva

Following Since Jan 31, 2020

SHOW MORE FOLLOWERS

Not Ready to Donate?

Did you know a 10 second Facebook share raises an average of $25?

Share on