La Choza Chula has been improving the quality of education and supporting the local community to benefit from the growing surf tourism in a small rural village in Guatemala for over 4 years now. In only 4 years we have:
- Built a community library (the only one in the entire region) with over 2500 books and education programs run by our local librarian.
- Built a Secondary School with 75 students enrolled.
- Built a Computer Lab with 17 brand new computers, offline resources and teacher training.
- Launched 3 successful social enterprises giving work to local women, young people and guides: Chula Bags, Chula Bracelets & Chula Tours.
- Forged partnerships with Medical, Veterinary, Education and Health organisations bringing them to the village and widening our impact.
We have achieved a lot in a short space of time, and now we are ready to take the organisation to the next level and multiply our impact. To do so we need a base that we can be proud of, that will improve sales of our hand-made products and locally-run tours, as well as providing the space for our staff and local makers to work in.
Currently La Choza Chula is operating from a rented space, which is shared as a home, office, shop and workshop for our local makers. So in 2017 we will be building a space to run workshops for the community, an office and a shop, as well as accommodation for volunteers. This will all be built by local contractors, providing local employment throughout construction.
We have already invested in a plot of land in the village (see video below), now we just need YOU to help us raise the money to turn these dreams into reality.
We need £15,000 to build the following:
- One WORKSHOP space to deliver our adult education and training programmes, such as training local tour guides, teaching English and facilitating workshops given by visiting volunteers and partner organisations.
- One SHOP to help sell our handmade, local products, such as Chula Bracelets and Chula Bags, as well as selling and promoting our award winning and locally-run Chula Tours.
- One OFFICE space to provide a safe working environment for our staff and volunteers to run all of La Choza Chula's operations.
- One rooftop CAFE space, to help encourage tourists to visit and spend more time at La Choza Chula
- Any excess funds would go into basic accommodation that would house volunteers and staff, enabling us to grow as an organisation and expand La Choza Chula projects:
What your money can buy:
- £10 donation would get one bag of cement, 5% of all the cement we need!
- £25 donation will get you 5% of all the bricks we need!
- £50 donation will get you 50ft of quality 'Conacaste' wood, to build the amazing Guatemala palm roofs, fitting in with the local housing style!
If you're new to La Choza Chula then head to www.lachozachula.org to find out a bit more about what we do, or check out just some of our achievements below! (not including LCC work in 2017)
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING US CONTINUE OUR WORK IN EL PAREDÓN, GUATEMALA!