Well to put things all out in the open - I have my kids from a previous marriage, my husband has his one kid from a previous relationship and together we decided to have one last year. He was born in January this year after being nearly 3 weeks late and we had so very nearly lost him at birth since we had to go through the government process for the birth as we do not have medical aid.
They didn't see any urgency or problem with him being well over the due date even after referral from my doctor to have me induced. The first hour after his birth I thought he might be dead as they took him away and I could just recall seeing him being blue all over and he didn't cry as babies always do at birth when they take their first breath of air out the womb.
Despite all we left the hospital a few hours later with a happy healthy baby boy and now at nearly 6 months old he was worth all the pain and labor for the joy he gives us all.
9 years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter - the doctor advised I never attempt normal birth again as I am at risk of losing the baby or my own life. Yet we had no option without medical aid than to go to the government hospital and they insisted that whilst my life is not in danger at that very moment they will not do a C-Section.
We took precautionary measures as we agreed due to me being at risk we will not be having another and that our son was our one child together.
I started feeling offish a few weeks ago and then 2 weeks ago consulted a dr who informed me that I am pregnant ... AGAIN !!! ... While taking contraceptives ... and to our surprise he told us that I am already in my second trimester and are an average of 15-16 weeks already.
I was in utter shock and my husband was speechless for quite a few hours. We immediately understood that there was no option other than to accept and nurture the growing life that we have been blessed with.
We started inquiring about medical aid and no medical aid will cover birth unless you are a member for more than 12 months.
I then started phoning hospitals and the cheapest quote we can find is as follows:
Hospital Fee for 2 days : R 26 000 ($1750 approx)
Gynecologist Fee for attending in theatre : R15 000 ($1015 approx)
Anesthetist to be present during C-Section : R4500 ($305 approx)
Pediatrician to be present during C-Section : R1800 ($120 approx)
Now those are just the fees I got for those - at best case scenario - if there is no complications and delays.
Then there are several small fees for the odd test and antenatal checkups etc etc which I have managed to cover.
With only about 5 months left we are well out of time for trying to save up for this procedure - at which they will also be removing and tying and making sure I can not fall pregnant again.
I don't have anything I could offer as reward except for advertising space on my blog.
If I could reward each and every person who helps I would do so.