FUNDING FOR A PROMISING, BUT STRUGGLING BLIND VOCAL ARTIST
I'm a blind person aspiring to build a successful singing career, studied for- and qualified as Sound Engineer (National diploma course). At the time, I did not realise that most studios would not like to employ a blind person.
As a blind person, I face many obstacles in my life and managed to overcome many, but now I'm facing a crisis. My vocal cords have been injured approximately three months ago and now I can't sing all the songs I used to, because I can't reach the high notes anymore! There is some improvement, but ultimately, I must ask myself whether my voice will fully recover?
My vocal cords can deal with songs in lower key, but now I must work very hard to learn new songs in a key that suits my voice, as soon as possible. The songs I used to sing, containing notes too high for my vocal cords to deal with, must be re-made! Such exercise will cost a lot of money! I have released a CD, however, most of the songs are cover-songs; Only three songs are original songs written for me.
Trying to find a job currently, with the poor South-African (SA) economy, is extremely difficult. Thousands of people are seeking employment, and being a blind Caucasian white, is a barrier even more difficult to overcome.
I have not been very successful in securing performances during the past two years; Many venues where I used to perform, could not afford to hire performers, because, the first thing people cut back on during poor economic times, is entertainment. There were also other factors that hampered my progress.
I had to move back to my parents’, who are pensioners and also struggling financially; They now have to care for me as well, and I don't earn enough to even pay them rent, putting
them in an even more difficult position.
The situation leaves me in an extremely precarious position. These are my basic overheads:
- My vehicle (1-ton truck) and trailer, used to transport my equipment, needs urgent attention; The vehicle and trailer need to be reliable; Small things need to be fixed before it becomes a problem.
- The sound equipment needs attention.
- The vehicle, trailer and all sound equipment must be insured under business insurance, which I can currently not afford. That means, if something happens to
my sound equipment, my truck and/or trailer, it is Game Over!
- As a blind person, I obviously need a driver that can drive me to gigs and market myself, set up my sound equipment at venues and operate the laptop during performances. These people must be paid for their time and assistance.
- Funds to change the key of my original songs and to record another album.
I would be so grateful if I could raise enough money to cover the basic needs as mentioned above so I can spend more time improving my vocal skills.
I have fallen before and have always risen again! I know in my heart that the situation will improve and return to normal, but for now I need your help, please!Hopefully, those reading this motivation will be able to help me get back on my feet again and compensate my people who supported and believed in me during these extremely difficult times.
Your donations will be very much appreciated. Thank you!