Pollution has become a serious issue at Penang National Park due to the increase in human activities. The beaches especially Teluk Aling USM and Monkey Beach are full with rubbish which is harmful to the ecosystem in the park. Although there are many volunteer or CSR activities like beaches cleaning are done by individuals or companies but the beaches are still full with rubbish after a while. It’s meaningless if there is a party keep cleaning and another party keep littering. Education might be one of the ways to stop the visitors from littering around.
Therefore, beautifying the park environment and creating awareness among the visitors are the main objectives for this project. The objectives are clearly stated as below:-
Part 1: Beautifying the park environment
1. To clean up the polluted areas in the park
2. To beautify the park environment by planting and painting
3. To improve the safety in the park areas
4. To install the metal sign broad
5. To repair the facility
The Funding contribution involved:
- Decreasing paper usage by means of omitting the distribution of paper pamphlets by installing appropriate signage that contains identical information.
- Signage boards containing safety information for visitors during their stay in the national park.
- The installation of wildlife friendly rubbish disposal bins around national park. These disposal bins are designed to prevent the local wildlife from tempering. Ensuring the local ecosystem is unaffected.
- A rubbish collection drive around the Penang National Park will be held. Funding will be allocated towards tools, personal protection equipments and consumables.