What I'm raising money for:
I need help to cover the
- Program costs (AUD $1,516.06)
- Flights (approx. AUD $4000)
- Vaccinations and Anti-malarials (AUD $425.75 so far)
- Insurance (approx. AUD $150)
- Visa for entry to Ghana (AUD $140)
Any money I raise above the immediate costs of getting me there will be spent on bringing relevant materials or resources, under the guidance of the Program Coordinator and partner organisation.
Why do I need so much money?
These costs are difficult for me to cover, because I am a full-time postgraduate student (I'm studying my Masters in History!) - as a result I'm not working, and any free time I have is spent volunteering.
The flights from Perth, Australia to Ghana are expensive, but I'm looking for the cheapest flight possible. I'm hoping to raise as much as possible to off-set the cost of this volunteering trip.
What will I do?
I'm going to Aboansan in Ghana for two weeks in December 2012.
The program information is available on the Global Volunteer Network page on Ghana - I'm registered for the 'Village' program. I really want to be involved in the peace education cells, which focus on conflict resolution training and creating dialogue on issues. The program, however, is variable and I will participate in whatever projects need support at the time while I'm there.
My primary goal is to use this opportunity to offer what skills I can to contribute to the village. I will also use this opportunity to learn - about working with communities, about developing programs in collaboration with communities, and the challenges involved with this kind of work. Once I have finished studying, I want to work in community development, particularly in designing and implementing programs.
As this trip is very short, I am realistic about my ability to implement change. I'm excited about this opportunity, and keen to make the most of it as a learning opportunity - I don't expect to transform the community, or the world in two weeks! But, I will go there with an open mind and to learn from the people there.
Why should you donate to my project?
I'll be very grateful! Also, you'll be supporting someone who is respectful of other cultures, eager to help others, and focuses on what the beneficiaries of a particular project want, expect, and need from that endevour.
I can offer the following acknowledgement of supporters:
- Donations of $1 to $50: Personal thank you email and acknowledgement in my return report.
- Donations of $51 to $199: Postcard sent from Ghana, a personal thank you email, and acknowledgement in my return report.
- Donations of $200 to $499: A post-trip email including photos, a postcard sent from Ghana, a personal thank you email, and acknowledgement in my return report.
- Donations of $500 to $999: A digital copy of my report, post-trip email including photos, a postcard sent from Ghana, a personal thank you email, and acknowledgement in my return report.
- Donations of $1000 and over: A printed and bound copy of my report including photos, post-trip email including photos, a postcard sent from Ghana, a personal thank you email, and acknowledgement in my return report as major supporters.
I'm happy to answer any questions you have about this project and what I hope to get out of it! Thank you for your interest in supporting me in this project!