Support Mila in funding her International Masters in 'Education Policies for Global Development' in 2019!
My name is Somila Mjekula (26), I have recently been accepted into a 2-year Erusmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree on Education Policies for Global Development (GLOBED) which begins in September 2019. This prestigious programme had over 400 international applicants and has admitted 25 students, with two from Africa; myself and another Kenyan student.
My interest in pursuing the GLOBED Masters Degree was driven by the immense fulfilment I experienced supporting youth in the NGO sector for the past 5-years. These students always show a keen curiosity and an inspiring enthusiasm to learn, despite existing in precarious circumstances and environments. I want to better understand how, through furthering my own learning, I can contribute to the educational development of under-resourced communities in a meaningful way. Over two decades into democracy, South Africa is still one of the most unequal countries in the world. This is most explicit in our education system where the top 200 (3%) of SA’s Model-C high schools outperform the remaining 6, 476 (97%) of public schools.
My work in the informal education sector has exposed me to challenges that face the broader work of educational development, but more than anything, it has moved me to continue my activism for positive and pragmatic change. Through admission into the GLOBED Masters’ programme, I believe that the sustainable impact of such a pragmatic change in education is possible.
On that note, I would sincerely appreciate any sponsorship amount that would support me to further my studies at this level. The cost of the programme is €14 500.00 (excluding flights, lodging and living expenses). It has been a challenge finding suitable scholarships online as they do not fit with the nature and structure of the Erusmus Mundus multi-university programme.
Thank you for your contribution!