Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life (FAO, 1996 World Summit).
South Africa is considered a 'food secure' nation, producing enough calories to adequately feed every one of their estimated 55 million people.
However, the reality is that one in four people currently suffers hunger on a regular basis and more than half the population live in such precarious circumstances that they are at risk of going to bed hungry.
With unemployment levels at more than 26% and over 15 million people receiving social grants, people do not have enough money to buy food.
That is where FOOD SA (Food Outreach & Opportunity Development South Africa) comes in.
We envision a future without hunger, where access to nutritious food by all is recognised as fundamental to the well-being and success of individuals.
Working together to build and sustain food-secure communities.
Your donations will be used to:
- Change the lives of many underprivileged individuals in South Africa.
- Expand the charity and enable us to reach more people in need.
- Purchase nutritious food to feed the homeless & poor.
- Provide hungry children with new opportunities and an equal chance for success.
- Work towards achieving our goal of food security.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Make a difference and help us feed those in need.