1. About us
#7586 The Salted Fishballs 2019 Rookie
Our current situations
· We come from Hangzhou Foreign Languages School and Zhejiang Fuyang High School AP Center, two key schools directly under the provincial department of education that attach im
portance to STEM education. There are about 50 team members from junior high school to senior high school.
· At present stage, we own available practicing field and some equipment such as power tools, files, pliers, wrenches, and calipers.
· We have the guidance of professional coaches, FRC alumni, and professors from Zhejiang University.
· The topics our team will study include: mechanical design, 3D simulation, computer program
ming, path planning, machine learning, digital signal processing, and circuit design.
Performance of our students in other competitions
· We have good results in various science and technology competitions.
——In IGEM ( international Genetic Engineering Machine) 2017, competing with the student teams of world famous universities such as MIT, Zhejiang university and Zurich university of technology, the team led by Hangzhou Foreign Languages School won the silver medal.
——In RoboRAVE International Robotics Competition Asia 2017, our students from Hangzhou won the second place in Asia and qualified for the Colombia International Final.
——In the FLL 2017, our students won the first prize in east China Regional.
——Some students from Hangzhou Foreign Languages School were invited to participate in the 2017 FRC playoffs as the backbone member of Shanghai FRC team 6941. In 2018 season, they won the champion of China Shanghai Reginal and the runner-up of China Shenzhen Regional, and participated in FIRST World Championship in Houston, USA.
——In FRC 2018 offseason, students from the two schools first collaborated and formed an team to participate in Robotics Championship China in Hangzhou, China, winning Team Spirit Award as an outstanding team.
Our Team of Guidance (member increasing)
————————————————————————————————————————· Yuan Hong, a Information Technology teacher in Hangzhou Foreign Language School since 2003, has led the team to win robot-related competitions awards for many times.
· Pengfeng Zhang, a General Technology Teacher in Hangzhou Foreign Language School since 2008, has also led the team to win robot-related competitions for many times.
· Tina Tian, an alumni of Hangzhou Foreign Languages school and undergraduate student learning Electrical and Computer Engineering in CMU, used to be a backbone member of 6941 ( a team that won the first place in Shanghai Regional and the second place in Shenzhen Regional in FRC 2018 season), founder of team 7586.
· Zheyuan Zheng, an undergraduate students learning Mechanical Engineering in Rose-Hulmal Institute of Technology, former team leader of 6941 and former member of 5515.
· We also have technical support from the School of Computer Science of Zhejiang University and the Institute of Manufacturing Technology and Equipment Automation of Zhejiang University.
2. Our Perspectives
Develop Technological Strength
· 2019 will be our rookie year in FRC. To become familiar with this challenging and exciting competition, our team seized the chance in 2018 offseason, took part in Robotics Championship China and developed the abilities of new members, enabling them to accumulate experience for the 2019 official season.
Push Boundaries of Knowledge for Common Good
We believe that by participating in FRC, we not only develop our ability to design, build and program robots, but also apply our knowledge in STEM to serve others and contribute to our community. We are dedicated to learn new skills, to use what we learn from FRC to leverage technological problems, and to inspire more students to join the community of FIRST and promote STEM education.
3. Why are we appling for grants?
· Starting a rookie teams is definitely not an easy task. · We hereby sincerely apply for the grants.
Insufficient Funds from School
Due to our educational system in China, it is not common for public schools to fund student activities substantially. For this reason, the two schools are reluctant to provide sufficient funds for our team, and we are unable to afford the expensive registration fee of 6000 USD.
Expensive Transportation Fee
Due to our change of registered regional event (from Hangzhou Regional to South Pacific Regional), the cost of our travel expense rapidly increased. Specifically, the cost to transport our machine multiplied. The mixture of transportation fee and equipment fee is too large to afford by our Rookie team.
4. Fundraising Event
Contact with companies
We have contacted with several companies by phone calls and e-mails. There are three companies replied and showed interests towards donating and supporting us: SenseTime Tech, NineChapter, and IBM.
SenseTime planned to set up a robotics laboratory at Zhejiang Fuyang High School. After learning that
FRC is a competitive robot race, IBM said it does not match their goal of service or industrial robots, but said it can provide technical support and send technicians to the platform of our team.
Publicity and Fine Art Design
We have set up a WeChat platform to attract future members, share robotics knowledge, and introduce FRC to more people. The design of our posters and the logo of our team are included in the appendix in this file.
5. SWOT Analysis
Comprised of two of the best schools in the region
Have STEM labs on campus
Have past experience in robotics competition
Recruiting mentors and instructors
Coordinating and negotiating with sponsors
Finding more sponsors
Lack of equipment
Lack of funding from sponsors
Skills training for students
Sponsors do not provide funds
Loss of trained mentors
You could download our Fundraising Plan through: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1vY893pbXuBGsXFSkGCsDMA
Mentor’s email: [email protected]
Team meeting information
Location: Zhejiang Fuyang High school & Hangzhou Foreign languages School.
Time: Every weekend.
309 Liuhe Rd, West Lake District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, 310023.
99 Wantong Rd, Yinghu St, Fuyang, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, 311400.