The purpose of the Energy Africa Initiative is to raise seed money to create self-sustaining projects that empower participants by giving them a sense of accomplishment and stimulate the entrepreneurship spirit and drive in the citizens to recast their lives. Determined and hardworking citizens in agriculture will be afforded:
1. Solar powered dryers to avoid crop from going to waste. Farmers have no money to purchase dryers outright necessitating a rent to own arrangement with the payments coming out of a revenue sharing arrangement. This allows private investors to come in once they see the pilot working and can get a high return on investment.
2. High tech storage facilities to keep food from rotting and making food available throughout the year thus stabilizing crop price fluctuation such as low prices during harvest and high prices during the off harvest periods.
3. Farmers harvest once a year but by introducing hydroponic and other modern farming techniques, farmers will be able to generate food throughout the year. Increasing the yield will accelerate payments for equipment and will spark economic development.
4. Create markets for excess food to neighboring and foreign countries (Markets have already been identified).
5. Such a program will create thriving communities able to send their kids to schools and generate need for banking, schools, water/waste management, fire fighters, stores etc. The overall purpose is to enhance the standard of living of the people.
6. Such activities will lead to more energy demand and hence the need to expand the grid but this time a self-paying grid rather than seeding it.