TheHeart Beat Youth Center in Khan Younis (central Gaza Strip) regularly organizes various activities with women and children, often in partnership with other local organizations (Palestinian Center for Human Rights, Society of Culture and Free Thought, Palestinian Red Crescent, Nawa Educational Center, General Union of Palestinian Women, etc.): tutoring and exam preparation for schoolchildren, fun and creative activities, psychological support for women, women's rights, dialogue family, etc.
As an extension of these actions, the project "Educational success for children of Khan Younis", developed in collaboration with the French association Education and Sharing Solidarity, concerns the establishment of regular educational and cultural activities, psychological support and parenting support actions, aimed at providing children and young people in school aged 7 to 15 with the support and resources they need for their personal growth and academic success. It targets 80 children / youths and their families from the Khan-Younis refugee camp, identified as having difficulty by schools. It is established over 7 months of operation, with a total budget of 6740 €
500 € of them were obtained from ( Association France Palestine Solidarity 47 ) / France
. The main objective of the project is to provide the children and adolescents in school with the support and resources they need, alongside the school, for their personal growth and success in school. their schooling, in the face of the unfavorable environment in which they live. It is based on investing the existing skills of children and young people, and helping them to take their place in society as an adult in the making, and to be an actor.
- to help the acquisition of knowledge, to develop the confidence of children and young people in their capacity for success
- value and develop their creative skills and self-esteem
- value and develop solidarity, empathy and cooperation between them
- support children and adolescents with psychological frailty
- support parents in their educational role and in monitoring the education of their children
. The proposed activities, in a participatory approach to education, take place outside school time and are supervised by the team of volunteers of the association Heart Beat Youth Center, which pays particular attention to each child and young participant in the project .
- Homework help workshop: 3 workshops of 1h30 per week for 4 groups of 12 children maximum (girls and boys), each supervised by 1 educational worker. A snack is offered to children before starting homework help. This one, centered on the organization of the personal work and the methodology, lasts between 30mn and 1h according to the age and the needs of the children and the young people. Educational games, which develop the spirit of collaboration, are offered to them at the end of the workshop.
- Arts and crafts workshop: 2 1h20 workshops per week, for 2 groups of 10 children and young people maximum (girls and boys), supervised by an educational worker. Drawing, painting, modeling, etc. to develop the creative expression of children and young people, but also to express their feelings and emotions.
- Dabkeh workshop: 1 workshops of 1 hour per week, for a group of 10 children, supervised by an educational worker. The learning of Dabkeh is a means to strengthen solidarity and cooperation among young people, but also to enable them to acquire elements of Palestinian culture and traditions, and thus make the link between generations. It is also a physical activity that can help them express their emotions and release their negative energy. A show is produced at the end of the cycle.
- Psychological support for children and young people spotted in need: individually, in groups or with the family, according to the needs of the children, evaluated in consultation with their parents and their teacher, with the intervention of a psychologist. This support aims to improve the well-being of children and youth and their self-confidence, and thus improve their participation and academic success.
- Support to parenthood: parents are seen individually at least once a month, and are also invited to a weekly thematic meeting (by group of 15 parents) led by the psychologist (with the intervention of specialists from other associations or institutions, such as PCHR). This action aims to support parents in their children's education, to help them better understand the difficulties their children may face and to better "equip them" to help their children overcome them.
- Recreational Outings: A day of fun entertainment for children is given once at the end of the project, either in a play park (with swimming pool) or by the sea. On the program: outdoor group games ( with "contest"), dancing, swimming, etc. Lunch is offered to children and youth.
The schedule of activities is adapted during school holidays, especially during the summer period
. The project targets 80 children and schoolchildren, girls and boys, aged 7 to 15, and their parents.
The activities are open to all children and young people wishing to participate, with a priority given to those who need it most, needs evaluated in consultation with schools and families.
The Heart Beat Youth Center team met with the educational teams of the schools concerned to establish lists of "priority" children and young people (in school difficulties and / or in psychological fragility). Meetings were organized with the families to present the project and offer to participate. Around 50 children and young people are currently participating in the activities set up before the project.
Site internet: https://www.facebook.com/hby.center