My name is Tshepo Nkolanyane. I am currently doing my MSc in the North-West University (specializing in disaster risk reduction and environmental management). You can find me on LinkdIn. The reason for this is that the youth is the most marginalized group in disaster-relief programmes in South Africa.
NB: South Africa has no youth disaster reduction programme. I'm raising money to specifically help the youth be resilient to natural and man-made hazards. The money will be used for the following:
1) Mini-Shelters for the homeless (mostly the youth) across selected South African Provinces
2) "YOUTH" Vulnerability and Risk Assessments (Partnering with the African Centre for Disaster Risk Studies-NWU)
3) Create Internship/learnership programmes for my non-profit company which i started in August 2018 (South African Youth Centre For Disaster Risk Reduction) which aims to not only teach the most vulnerable about disasters but to SYSTEMATICALLY help alleviate them from natural and man-made hazards (floods, droughts, fires etc)
4) Create a detailed disaster/vulnerable hot-spot area maps for government agencies (to assess where youth is most vulnerable to disasters and WHY)
5) Create annual award ceremonies for youth disaster reduction participants to help incentivize disaster reduction and put youth awareness on a global level
This initiative focuses mostly on the South African YOUTH group and with sufficient funding, it can create awareness on disasters which the youth faces daily and help create mini-shelters which aim to be self-sufficient and include various programmes (i.e. work-for-cash programmes directed at youth groups) to help the youth be resilient to hazards. NB: Most of the money will go to building resilient shelters and carrying vulnerability assessments. With that said, internship/learnership programmes will also be of great value where the youth can earn a monthly stipend.
I believe with your help, we can make a difference and in a year expand to other countries. So far i have been able to attain resources (offices and internet) to help kick-start the initiative. Lets make a difference, hand-in-hand. Thank You.