The Fire and Its Aftermath
On 5 July 2017, a fire broke out in Karenni Refugee Camp 1 (Ban Mai Nai Soi), along the Thai-Burma border:
- Camp 1 houses 10,000 refugees (2500 homes)
- Most houses made of wood and bamboo- flammable
- Past fires in 2011, 2013, 2016
The fire on 5 July is the latest disaster to hit Camp 1:
- No fatalities BUT...
- 33 houses burned down
- 36 houses dismantled to prevent fire from spreading
- Fire spread quickly; no time to save belongings
- 168 people from about 50 households left without possessions
The Current Situation
- Rainy season in North Thailand
- Basic necessities required:
- Sleeping Mats
- Hygiene supplies, etc
- Organisations that are helping include:
- Karenni National Women's Organisation (KNWO)
- Women's Education for Advancement and Empowerment (WEAVE)
- International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Refugee Camp Committee
- Aid provided so far includes:
- Finding temporary shelter
- Recovery & reconstruction efforts e.g. clearing of area
- Counselling for survivors
- Some basic necessities (insufficient)
- KNWO donated some basic supplies recently:
- Barely enough for 10 households (only 1/5 of affected people)
- Need money to get sufficient supplies
How You Can Help
You can help by making a donation to this campaign. All the funds, excluding the small percentage required for third-party administration and transaction fees, will go to Karenni National Women’s Organisation (KNWO). KNWO will use these funds to purchase much-needed supplies for the affected refugees.
KNWO estimates that around THB 3000 is needed for each household. This works out to about SGD 7000* for 50 households.
We decided to use this fundraising platform to reach out to a worldwide audience. Donations via card and Paypal are likely to reach KNWO and the affected people faster, as time is of the essence.
Any amount helps. Even a small donation of SGD 10 can buy 1.5 sleeping mats.
*For transparency, please note that this fundraising campaign is mainly run by Nicole, a volunteer and Communications Manager at KNWO. Due to banking limitations on KNWO’s side, the donations from this campaign will be transferred to her account initially. From there, on a regular basis, the donations will be remitted to KNWO’s bank account. Donations are requested in SGD to minimise the amount lost through currency conversion.
Background of Karenni National Women’s Organisation (KNWO)
- Non-profit community-based organisation
- Founded in 1993
- Advocates for women's rights, protection, and empowerment
- Mission: To ensure that KNWO is internationally recognised as a women’s organisation and to advocate for equal rights, empowerment, protection, livelihood, and a peaceful society for women and girls living in refugee camps along the Thai-Burma border and in Karenni state
- Vision: Every woman and girl is able to make their own choices in their lives to enjoy full equal rights in social, economic and political life, and live free from violence.
For more information about KNWO, please visit https://karenni-women.org/ and our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/KarenniNationalWomenOrganization