We will be driving to the migrant camp in Calais to deliver vital supplies to the people there who are living there. We will spend the funds raised on tents, sleeping bags, winter / waterproof clothing and other items that are needed at the camp.
The situation at the camp and the needs of the people living there are apt to change in the weeks leading up to when we leave, and we will be continually discussing these with aid organisations working in Calais, updating this page as we go.
All funds raised will go towards supplies for the people living in the migrant camp and towards donations to organisations doing vital work there and in support of migrants' rights.
For more information on the situation in Calais, see https://calaismigrantsolidarity.wordpress.com/intr...
We have deliberately set the fundraising target high as, in addition to providing supplies, we would like to donate as much as possible to the organisations doing important work in Calais, from distributing aid to campaigning for lasting political change.
Any donation, no matter how big or small, is hugely appreciated. If you can't afford to donate funds, we are also organising donations of items to take to the camp. Even sharing this campaign on your social media, or with your friends, family and coworkers, would be a big help.
We will also be collecting items for donation. If you would like to donate items, please read the list below carefully, and then contact one of us to arrange a drop-off (East London). The items listed below may change according to what the aid organisations in Calais say is a priority for them.
- Tents, tarps, sleeping bags and mats – please make sure that tents are complete and unbroken; that sleeping bags are clean.
- Warm and waterproof men's clothing and shoes – winter is approaching and people at the camp need warm jackets, shoes and waterproof clothing. Please do not donate women's or children's clothing. They especially need: woolly hats, gloves, jeans & tracksuit bottoms; trainers or hiking boots
- Bikes, bike repair equipment – such as puncture repair kits and inner tubes.
- Cooking equipment – large pots and pans, water containers, utensils, plates, cups.
- Books, dictionaries, texts, etc – particularly English / French language learning books in Italian, Arabic, Pashto, Farsi, Tigrinya, Amharic and Greek, as English and French are priority languages in schools.
The situation at Calais is a political one, and providing aid will not solve the problems of the people living there. No amount of sleeping bags can change the actions of a racist government. This is why we've set the fundraising target at £1,500, so that as well as providing items needed in the run-up to winter, we can also donate to organisations doing important, ongoing political work.
Thanks very much,
Emma, Kieran and Maya