Daktari is a registered non-profit company located in the Limpopo Province of South Africa near the Kruger National Park. It is an organisation of people who care, not only for animals and nature, but also for those less fortunate than themselves.
The mission of Daktari is to educate and inspire underprivileged children to care for their environment through the medium of a wildlife orphanage.
Every Monday they welcome a new group of 8 local underprivileged children and 1 youth as a local volunteer for a week and give them the opportunity to discover, learn and become passionate about wildlife, conservation and their heritage.
They also supplement their school curriculum in English, maths, sciences, geography, life skills and social issues.
Many of the children come from very large classes where one to one teacher interaction is near impossible. The personal interaction of the international volunteers helps bring out the passion to learn and the knowledge passed on can be seen often times quite drastically by the end of the week.
Their goal is to enable today’s local underprivileged children to eventually be able to secure good employment in one of the countless nature reserves all over South Africa, thereby improving their future quality of life.
There are specific projects that we can raise funds for, these include, but are not limited to:
Build a small animal camp next to the office.
- R 5000 / $620
Extension of the office (very needed).
- R 10 000 / $1,250
Plastering the dormitory with cement and white paint so the kids can decorate it with their own drawing.
- R 3000 / $370
There are also ongoing costs such as:
Food for the project is approximately
- R 20 000 / $2,500 per month
The care for the animals is approximately
- R 5000 / $620 per month
I hope you believe in helping those who are incredibly less fortunate than us and don't have the opportuities that are provided to us in daily life. Whilst it seems that nowadays there are so many charities and organisation to donate to, I hope you'll believe in this one as much as I do. The education of today's youth is so important and can lead to a change a broader and more national change for their generation and others to come.
Let's see if we can raise $1,000!!
I also have a list of items that you can donate that are specific to the children's ongoing education. If you have these things just lying at home, don't throw them away, pass them onto those who will treasure them as prized possessions!
- Batteries AAA or rechargeable batteries (very needed) - Sponges to wipe table and wash dishes
- Dish clothes - White board marker (very needed)
- Printing paper - Name Tags
- Insect repellent - Mosquito net
- Soap, shower gel, toothbrush and toothpaste - Feminine hygiene products.
- Towels for the children - Pen (biro)
- Permanent marker - Any educational game (easy ones)
- Calculator (it's good to teach them how to use one!) - Puzzle (easy one)
- Card game - Sweets
Any little present that we can give them when they play games and win, such as:
- Sample perfume (given usually when you buy perfume) - Any cosmetic
- Any small little cosmetic bag or accessories for girls
- Any hygienic stuff like small soap, tooth brush, body lotion ECT - Packet of sweets
- Any kitch toy that usually privileged children get (it must be cheap as we don't want to give expensive presents such as computer games ect....)
**Please visit the Daktari website at www.daktaribushschool.org for more information**