CREATING THE FUTURE WITH STEM + THE ARTS: STEAM ROADSHOW
This project is first and foremost about getting kids excited about creating the future by making learning FUN and accessible to all. We need all hands on deck to create a world that works for everyone: from clean water and abundant energy, to smart transportation and efficient healthcare. And to do this, we need Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math working together with the Arts to make STEAM! We also need your help. Due to budget cuts, we need to come up with an additional $15,500 to keep this powerful project alive.
The STEAM Roadshow is designed to inspire young learners from all backgrounds to orient themselves towards participating in creating the future. We frame Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math as tools we can all use to create a thriving future for ourselves and the planet.
This project is a collaboration between Mobius Method, a small education company, and Hillsborough County Public School’s STEM Department. This is the second year of the project after a very successful pilot during the 2016-17 school year. Due to budget cuts, HCPS is providing about 50% of this year's budget; we are fundraising in both our local and national communities to come up with the other funds to keep this project going.
The STEAM Roadshow is a tour that goes into elementary schools and consists of two components:
- A movement + theater show about Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math and shows children the many career paths they can choose. It highlights the importance of creativity and collaboration in STEM fields.
- Movement-based science lessons for 3rd-5th graders that makes learning science fun, creative and collaborative. Lessons focus not only on specific science standards but also on how to work together as a team.
The performers in the show (Blake High School students) are trained to teach a Mobius Method movement-based lesson. This leadership development opportunity is a key component of the project and has many cascading benefits:
- Expands the leadership capacity of high school students
- Introduces them to teaching as a profession
- Creates positive role model/mentor relationships between elementary and high school students
- Introduces many teachers and students to movement as a powerful learning tool
- Demonstrates and advocates for the power of the arts in education
The funds you donate will go towards supporting the in-school and after-school rehearsals to build the show, training the Blake high school students to teach the lessons, performance props & costumes, supplies for the science lesson, and of course bringing the show to thousands of students in Hillsborough County Public Schools.
Here’s how your generosity will impact this project:
$25 - science lesson supplies for one teaching pair
$50 - one Math shape bag costume
$75 - classroom session for 25 elementary students
$150 - one teacher training session for high school students
$500 - one Roadshow tour into an elementary school
$1000 - one custom-designed science lesson plan for HCPS
$5000 - acknowledgment as Producer of the STEAM Roadshow
If y’all are feeling generous and we raise more than our goal, we will bow deeply with thanks and use those extra funds to reach more kids through in-school residencies and teacher trainings!
This project is designed to be adapted and implemented in other cities. If you’re interested in initiating a Roadshow project in your community contact us at [email protected].
Thank you so much for helping us to inspire the next generation of leaders using STEAM to create our future!