Velocity Apparelz, is a garment manufacturer located in Mekele, Ethiopia. We employ at present more than 2,000 team members and will reach 7,000 within the next two years in Ethiopia. More than 95% of our employees are female.
Our vision is not only to establish a business but also to help develop the society from both a sustainability as well as CSR policy perspective with a special focus on the empowerment and quality of female team member.
We consider that education must be the cornerstone for change. It is our belief that by supporting education and making it readily available and affordable that we can elevate standards of living and general well being.
At present there are no diploma or degree programs available in the area and cost as well as transportation significantly restricts the opportunities for further education.
That is why we are implementing a diploma and graduate program for our team members in collaboration with a private college, which will be taught on site. The details of the program are as follows:
• College partner is Admas University.
• Initial courses will be accounting and IT either with the option for a diploma course or a 3-year degree program.
• There will be 50 students per class initially.
• The classes are open both to the team members as well as females living in the communities around the factory.
• The program is planned to be expanded with additional courses and capacity in the second phase planned for 2020.
• Scholarship program for the 5 best students.
To make our initiative a reality, we require your kind donation to equip the classrooms with computer systems which we don't count with currently.
No matter how small your help, it will make a big difference for the Mekele community.
If you want to donate computer systems, they will be also welcome.
Thanks in advance for your kind contribution.
Theresa van Schaik