COMMUNITY MOBILIZATION TO FIGHT HIV/AIDS AMONG UGANDAN WOMEN
REGAIN HOPE INTERNATIONAL Kampala -Uganda
Contact person: Nadgire Ritah
Regain Hope International
Tel: +256 705220114
Email: [email protected]
Regain Hope International is a non-profit organisation formed by women living with HIV/AIDS irrespective of race, religion ,culture or social status. It was started by 3 infected women who had been rejected by their families because of their HIV status. Regain Hope serves as a forum to empower the women to;
- Challenge the stigma, discrimination and isolation.
- Share experiences and encourage one another.
- Advocate for their rights and those of their children.
- Support one another psychologically and materially.
- Develop coping strategies.
REGAIN HOPE PROGRAM AREA
1. Advovacy and lobby for the rights of women living with HIV/AIDS and that of their children. Women's specific rights and needs such as;
- Access to essential drugs.
- Education of children regardless of their HIV status.
- Property inheritance
- Employment opportunities
- Decision making in Reproductive health.
2. Care and support to women living with HIV/AIDS and their children.
- Clothing support
- Education of orphans
- Medical support
REGAIN HOPE’S ACTIVITIES
- Medical clinic offering curative services for opportunistic infections.
- Orphans support. ( education, shelter, food, clothing and legal services )
- Home based care
- Information ,education and communication on HIV/AIDS e.g through drama
- Counselling (coping ,crisis group therapies and pre and post test counselling )
- Advocacy ,networking and collaboration with other stakeholders both locally and internationally
- Promotion and distribution of condoms
OBJECTIVES OF REGAIN HOPE
The project's overall objective is to strengthen Regain Hope capacity to advocate and mobilize the community towards elimination of stigma and discrimination against women living with HIV/AIDS.
- Train the 50 youth on puppetry and drama.
- Train 20 members of staff /volunteers on advocacy and lobbying/ public speaking.
- Purchase a public address system (PAS)
- Establish and run 2 Drop in centers in Natete and Kawempe.
- Produce information , education and communication (IEC) material.
- Conduct 4 monthly advocacy forums in the community to create awareness and provide information on HIV/AIDS.
- A strong Regain Hope puppetry troupe
- Government policy respecting the rights of women living with HIV/AIDS as well as their children
- A strong advocacy team with Regain Hope
- Self -reliance of the youth through puppetry and drama
- Stimulated other organisations involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS to incorporate advocacy project in their programs for widen impact.
- Increased partnership in the fight against HIV/AIDS
- Improved qualityof life of women living with HIV/AIDS through involvement in Y generating activities (IGAs) and improved access to Economic opportunities.
- Reduced spread and effect of HIV/AIDS within the community.
- Destigmatization of people living with HIV/AIDS.