Long Story Short
Expenses for college are way too much for me and my family to handle. If I just make it through one year, I can handle the rest so this is for that one year.
You can also donate through my Paypal.Me link where I get 4% more per donation (https://paypal.me/theturtlebyte) or just directly to my BDO Savings Account where I get 8.4% more per donation (Acc. No 001120271396).
Thank you so much!
The Long Story
Hello. Officially, I am a student of UP Diliman (the University of the Philippines Diliman) under the BS Business Economics program. However, due to certain financial limitations (because of the distance from my actual home, the unstable occupational situation of my parents, and the fact I have two siblings going to school who need to be attended to), I can't attend at said university for the entire program.
The University of the Philippines in general is the most cost-effective university in the Philippines: it has the most bang for your buck. That is to say, there is a lot of bang but for no buck! There is no tuition at UP but even my cost-of-living expenses if I were to attend at Diliman are too high.
I was fortunate enough to receive a government scholarship that incentivizes students taking STEM courses and it's generous enough that I can spend my entire college life subsisting off of it. However, the UP system's policies prevent me from transferring to another campus or to another program within the same campus unless I spend an entire academic year to which I would then apply for a change in program.
If I were to successfully do so, I would transfer to UP Manila and take up a degree in Applied Physics so UP Manila would be closer and Applied Physics would enable me to claim the government scholarship.
So I just need to make it past a year at UP Diliman so I can transfer to UP Manila and claim a government scholarship there. Because of certain cost-of-living issues and a policy that you can't change campuses nor programs prior to spending a year at a UP campus, I'm kinda at the end of my rope here.
Keeping it simple, the funds I'll get from this campaign will really just be cost-of-living. It'll go towards paying rent at a place to stay, transport, and food to keep me alive during this first transitional year at uni.
As for me, there's not much to say. I don't know how else to describe myself other than the things that I enjoy and like to do.
- I like playing video games: mostly management sims, puzzle games, or story-driven adventures. My personal all-time favorite is Oxenfree. I do like the occasional zany shooters like TF2 and Overwatch.
- I like reading books but it has admittedly been a while since I've actually read something cover-to-cover. Instead, I've recently sunk a lot of time into listening to podcasts, of which I currently subscribe to 24 different ones. Most of these are informative ones such as 99% Invisible, BBC's In Our Time, Planet Money, Lore, and Ear Hustle.
- I watch a lot of animated shows, both Western and anime. My personal favorites are Avatar: The Last Airbender, Steven Universe, Assassination Classroom (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu), The Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni) and Made In Abyss.
- Movies are a thing I enjoy a bunch too. I don't really care much for genre, what matters to me is substance and execution. My personal all-time top five, in no particular order are: The Great Gatsby (2012), A Knight's Tale (2001), Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010), TRON: Legacy (2010), and Your Name - Kimi no na wa (2016).
- I obsess over certain topics depending on what I happen to come across such as something as "important" as the current state of the European Union and 2018 World Cup or something as "inane" as the effectiveness of different tournament styles on determining rank within any given set and British television quiz shows.
- For music, I very recently just got into listening to soundtracks usually from shows and films but as for something with lyrics, I really enjoy Taylor Swift, Purity Ring, Oh Wonder, Tessa Violet and so on. I am currently obsessed with the 2016 musical "Hamilton" and am currently trying to memorize all of it.
- I love board games regardless of whether or not I have people who will play with me. I also really love Dungeons and Dragons and have both played and DMed to moderate success. It's really an experience everyone should have with a group of friends or acquaintances regardless of demographic that I highly recommend.
- I love talking to people. That's probably what I do for most of the day: talking to other people about whatever. I usually do this over Discord.
In case you need the equivalent of a resume well, it's honestly hard for me to talk about what I've achieved since I don't really think much of them. It's also hard to enumerate them all so I think it's best I list them off in generalized terms in bold and details as further info.
- Passed in the entrance exams of all the "Big Four" Universities
- Director's List Scholarship at Ateneo De Manila University
- 1st out of 1797 for BS Psychology in University of Santo Tomas
- Passed at the University of the Philippines
- Passed at De La Salle University Manila
- Participated in a lot of inter-school math and science competitions, both team-based and individual to varying degrees of success
- Mathirang Matibay (UP Diliman)
- Math and Science Quiz Bee Olympiad (San Beda College Alabang)
- Academic, Literary, Musical, and Cultural Contests (Divine Light Academy)
- Annual Biosciences Quiz Bee (UP Diliman)
- Philippine Mathematical Olympiad
- Metrobank Dep-Ed Math Challenge
- Pisikaalaman (Philippines Physics Association)
- Sharp-MTG Math Trail
- Math League (mathleague.org)
- High School Ecolympics Quiz Bee (University of Asia and the Pacific)
- Australian Math Competition (Australian Mathematics Trust)
- International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (University of New South Wales)
- Participated in and won in intra-school math, science, and public speaking competitions in intra-school competitions.
- Averaged a 94.57% in my final year of high school.
So yeah, that's...something.