COLLECTING FUNDS FOR THE 1st SET OF RECORDINGS OF
The Complete Works of JOHANN JOACHIM QUANTZ
recorded by ALEXIS KOSSENKO & BENEDEK CSALOG baroque flute
Be part of this grandiose nonprofit initiative!
The project consists of the sound recordings of J.J. Quantz's oeuvre, more than 650 works - mostly pieces written for the flute. The recordings will be available on our website www.the-quantz-project.com for free download and listen, so they will not be published on CDs.
We plan to record the works in the course of the next 5-6 years on period instruments with the participation of renowned artists.
Project details and audio recordings are available at
The Project has been launched on the 22nd December.
You can already watch two videos with Alexis & Benedek, and listen / download test recordings of 5 flute sonatas.
The two artists knew of each other for a long time and knew one another’s previous recordings of Quantz’s and his contemporaries’ pieces. They also knew that their musical vision, interest and knowledge were close to each other. Benedek and Alexis, both successful and well-known flautists are among the few early music specialists in the world who regularly perform Quantz’s works on a historical transverse flute and have already made several recordings of them.
See the CV's of Alexis & Benedek here
Benedek and Alexis decided in 2017 to launch the project as soon as possible. They seemed to agree on the most important points of the idea, and those aspects that they imagined in a different way make the project even more exciting.
In general the following concept has been developed:
- Alexis records the flute concertos
- Benedek records the flute sonatas
- Later, eventually they exchange roles, and/or they may involve other flutists.
- The works will be recorded in high-resolution audio quality (higher sampling frequency and/or bit depth than those of a CD, for example 96kHz or 192kHz at 24bit) and are to be uploaded to this website in the best possible streaming (MP3) quality. At the same time the audio files will be available in their original quality on an external web site, where you can purchase them. Some videos will be produced and uploaded on our site as well.
- Above means that Alexis and Benedek do not ask for money for downloading and listening to the recordings in MP3 quality, and expect others not to ask for money for further distribution either. You can read more about the legal status of the recordings here.
- The first steps of the project were funded partly by their own financial resources, but later on they are counting on financial support from supporters, sponsors, foundations, Quantz fans and friends. You can read more about how to support & donate the project financially or otherwise here: http://the-quantz-project.com/donate
The recordings are to be made on excellent copies of original, well preserved flutes built by Quantz. The pitch used for the recordings will be the typical pitch of Quantz’s environment at that time, which was ca. A = 392, 400 or 415 Hz.
Why not to ask money for downloading and listening the recordings?
See our testimony here:
Why for free?
Of course, the project costs a lot of money.
But Benedek and Alexis hope that many people think similarly: it is worth funding, supporting or sponsoring such a project, or helping in other ways.
The recordings will be made in 5-8 years if the financial background allows that.
We need your help particularly for covering following costs of the first set of recordings:
2,000 EUR recording 8 flute sonatas in April 2020 - recording, editing, participation of harpsichord player
6,000 EUR recording of 2 or 3 flute concertos in March 2020 - recording, editing, participation of ensemble Les Ambassadeurs
1,700 EUR 50% of the already made costs of creating website, test recording of 5 flute sonatas, recording & editing introductional video,
300 EUR maintence of website during 2020
= 10,000 EUR
We will report regularly on the final costs and the use of incoming funds.
On our Facebook page you can ask questions, communicate and stay in touch with us; and the latest news about the project will also be posted here.
Thank you in advance for your generous help
Alexis Kossenko & Benedek Csalog
THE QUANTZ PROJECT
Zsofia Lazar project manager