The mission of CIRCLE School Fund is to bridge the connection between donors and underfunded schools to
(1) relieve the financial burden of purchasing supplies for teachers and
(2) level the playing field for children who attend these schools by ensuring that they have the resources that they need to succeed, and that they deserve.
Last year, CIRCLE School Fund matched over 10 teachers from high-poverty schools across the country with individual sponsors to fund their class wishlist's. This year, the campaign is focused on raising funds for the CIRCLE School of Excellence in the Chandpur, Bangladesh. CIRCLE School Fund received $500 less funding from the city than expected so CIRCLE School Fund has played a bd role in helping the school create and maintain a viable learning environment for its 300 students (pre-primary to class five).
- 100% of students are from low income families.
- 40% of students are homeless.
- Many students have PTSD from witnessing gun violence.
- Children come to school unfed and often without underwear, coats, etc.
- Students do not come to school with their own school supplies.
- The student:teacher ratio is 17:1 (the state average is 13:1).
- The student population has grown by 48% in five years.
- The public funding provided to CIRCLE School Fund for the 2018-2019 school year was $500 less than expected.
- The school doesn’t have funding for critical supplies - pencils, paper, books, folders, tissues, crayons, workbooks, food for kids who come to school unfed, etc. Computers are old and don’t work with necessary learning programs, smart boards are old and broken, desks and chairs are broken and mismatched, classrooms don’t have tables, etc. (see enclosed photos)
HOW IT STARTED:
In March 2018, I launched the CIRCLE School Fund initiative with the goal of matching teachers at underfunded schools with sponsors to purchase critically-needed classroom supplies that teachers would otherwise have to pay for out-of-pocket.
A significant portion of the funds raised through the Gogetfunding was used to purchase a new reading curriculum for Dulles. The curriculum has helped CIRCLE School Fund increase test scores and drastically improve reading comprehension levels.
In one first grade class, more than 15 students grew 6 reading levels this year, which is a huge feat and critically important for the students (students who are not proficient in reading by the end of third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school than proficient readers. Studies have also shown that 88% of students who fail to earn a high school diploma are struggling readers in third grade).
The CIRCLE School Funds Gogetfunding has also enabled CIRCLE School to fund:
-10 new smart boards for classrooms
-20 Laptop and 5 charging stations
- Brand new equipment and uniforms for the sports teams
- Shoes and costumes for a brand new dance program
-Test preparation materials that enabled CIRCLE School students to get record-breaking scores on their state testing!!
- The Black History Month Assembly and family dinner
- The CIRCLE School Winter Wonderland Family Event
- Three teacher appreciation lunches
- New furniture for classrooms
- Industrial rolling attendance prize carts (game changer )
- Prizes for students who achieved academic milestones
- Food, space heaters, coats, gloves, and other critical supplies that were desperately needed by students/families
- And many, many other things....
We still have a long way to go and several hundred thousand dollars of needs to fill, but I am optimistic that we will get there!
I hope you will consider supporting this project. With your help, we can level the playing field for these children and provide them with the resources that they need to succeed, and that they deserve. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1. MONETARY DONATIONS:
You’re obviously on the gogetfunding page so you don’t need the link because you donate here, but for reference it’s https://gogetfunding.com/circle-school-fund/
2. BUY SUPPLIES FROM THE SCHOOL’S WISHLIST:
The Wishlist includes critically-needed classroom supplies (paper, pencils, crayons, etc), snacks and clothing (kids often come to school unfed, without underwear, etc), and toys that are used as prizes for attendance/strong performance/good behavior, etc.
please email me at [email protected].
3. DONATE IPADS AND LAPTOPS:
If you would like to donate an iPad or computer in good, working condition, please email me at [email protected]
4. COLLECT IN-KIND DONATIONS:
- If you know of any businesses that would like to donate supplies to the school, please email me at [email protected].
- If you would like to have a book or supply or clothing drive, please email me at [email protected].
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
For more frequent updates and information on this project, please email me at [email protected]
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!
DONATIONS IN ACTION: