In 2000 The Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope, initiated the "Open Door" Child Care Centre in Ocean View, near Fish Hoek in the Southern Cape Peninsula.- where abused women and children receive counselling and support. A feeding scheme - once a day - for the children has also been operating from the small green container on the side of the pink house
Now, 15 successful years later, space in the Open Door facility, both for counselling and feeding, have became inadequate.
Under the joint banners of Valley Development Projects and the Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope a multi-purpose venue is in the process of being built on the plot adjacent to the existing Open Door facility This is the biggest single project the Rotary Club has tackled.
Facilities will include counselling and training rooms, a kitchen and ablution facilities and will offer the following services to the communities of Ocean View and Masiphumelele
- Daily feeding of approximately 150 local children, and a further 100 children in Mountain View
- Social work services to individuals & families Group sessions with women and adolescents
- Group sessions with women and adolescents
- Substance abuse counselling
- Weekly youth group meetings
- Parent training
- Skills development programme for school drop-outs
- After school care programmes
- Holiday Club Programmes
- Staff meetings and training sessions
- Board meetings and network meetings with other service providers
The pictures above show the progress from the beginning of construction to what it looks like today.
The building is over 450 m2 with total building costs expected to come in at +- R1, 485,000, which is way below the average industry building costs of around R5,000 m2
The Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope agreed to get involved with both fund raising and project managing the building operation, which is being overseen by an experienced and dedicated Rotarian from the Club, Mr Hans Zwets.
PROJECT- building cost
Interior dry walling R 156,000.00
Ceilings and insulation R 104,500.00
Floor covering R50,000.00
Kitchen fittings and equipment R60,000.00
2 Reception counters R6,000.00
Reception & Office chairs &furnishingsR16,000.00
Paving around building/parking area R15,000.00
Agricultural drainage R10,000.00
Burglar alarm and security R22,000.00
TOTAL: R 503,500.00= USD$ 42,000.00(@ R12/$)
Valley Development Projects committed R 606,000 towards the project with the Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope agreeing to also assist to fund raise the balance of approximately R880, 000.
Construction has got to the point where we urgently need financial help to complete the internal fittings of the free-standing structure on the secure foundations, and we are appealing to the local Businesses and the Community to contribute funds toward this very worthy and badly needed project.
At this stage, the Rotary Club has contributed about R 400, 000 and we require an additional R500, 000 to complete the construction and install the kitchens and ablutions . This could be achieved by:
* Bridging finance – a short term loan – of R100,000
* Donations of smaller amounts from R1,000 - R5,000 - R10,000 or R50,000 - to suit the budget of the donor
* In addition to the CSI and BEE incentives, the SARS Tax benefits would apply as the organisations are a PBO /NPO All donors will be recognised for their generosity on the Honours list displayed on the building