C.R.Y. Anti-Bullying Program Way of Life
Bullying has been around for many years but now has become an epidemic. We have lost too many people to suicide because of bullying in recent years. Suicide, as the results of bullying (bullycide) are not just reserved for teens and young adults. Statistics show that it is greatly rising among 12 year olds and younger, some as young as 7 years old. The numbers provided are just in the USA. Suicide is the third leading killer among children ages 10-14 years old (behind accidents and cancer). It’s estimated that nearly 30% or 16.8 million youth are involved in bullying, as victims, perpetrators, or both. Bullying is not just limited to youth on youth. There are many cases of adult on youth bullying.
Bullying in Schools
Bullying of youth mainly happens in schools. 85% of bullying occurs inside of school.
· 56% of students (31.3 million ) have personally witnessed some type of bullying at school
· 15% of all school absenteeism is directly related to fears of being bullied at school or about 8.4 million
· 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school 39.75 million
· 1 out of 20 students (2.8 million) has seen a student with a gun at school
· The average bullying episode lasts only 37 seconds. Teachers notice or intervene in only one in 25 incidents.
· 25% of teachers see nothing wrong with bullying or putdowns and consequently intervene in only 4% of bullying incidents.
· There are about 282,000 students that are reportedly attacked in high schools throughout the nation each month
· 160,000 youth stay home from school every day because of the fear of bullying
· Over two-thirds of students (36.3 million) believe that schools respond poorly to bullying, with a high percentage of students believing that adult help is infrequent and ineffective.
· 86% of students said, “other kids picking on them, making fun of them or bullying them” causes teenagers to turn to lethal violence in the schools
· Of the 37 school shootings reviewed by the U.S. Secret Service, bullying was involved in 2/3 of the cases. That’s 66% or 25 incidents. This is based on direct bullying, while others may have been a result of indirect bullying.
· The two students involved in the 1999 Columbine massacre were described as gifted students who had been bullied for years. During the school shooting, the boys killed 13 people, injured 24, and then killed themselves.
Many times bullying takes place through electronic means, such as social networking sites, cell phones, email etc. In the news recently cyber-bullying has been linked to the most publicized suicides because of bullying.
· 52% of students reported being cyber-bullied
· 33% of teens have experienced cyber threats online
· 25% of teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the internet
· 52% of teens do not tell their parents when cyber-bullying occurs
These numbers are based on reported incidents of bullying and less than 50% is reported. Even though there is federal, state, local and school anti-bullying laws and policies, they simply are ineffective in their present state. There are many anti-bullying programs inside and outside of the school environment. Most of them teach the same principles. Most of these principles are built around character building, self-esteem, respect, etc. The mindset that is associated with bullying is the same mentality that is prevalent in child abusers, pimps, gangs, rapists, pedophiles, domestic violence and sexual harassment.
The definition of a bully is: “A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.” All of the above mentioned persecute the ones who are weaker mentally, emotionally or physically. Research by Fight Crime/Invest in Kids reports that 60% of boys who bullied from first grade through ninth grade were convicted of at least one crime by age 24 and 40% had three or more convictions by age 24.
C.R.Y. Anti-Bullying Program Way of Life
1. characterized by uprightness or morality
2. morally right or justifiable
3. acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous
Regarding the aforementioned, there are many anti-bullying programs, some of them are excellent but they only offer part of the solution. The acronym C.R.Y. stands for Creating Righteous Youth. What makes the C.R.Y. Anti-Bullying Program Way of Life different and unique is that it also has a second imperative part and that is active intervention. C.R.Y. will have advocates that will actually go with the parents and students to the schools in cases of bullying. We will represent the child and make sure that all federal, state and school laws and/or policies are adhered to. Our C.R.Y. advocates will be on call 24 hours a day in emergency situations. We will make sure that all involved (parents, administrators, teachers, and other school employees) are held accountable. Our C.R.Y. advocates will keep track of every step that is taken to rectify the problem. “Research shows that bullying can be effectively reduced when victimized children tell an adult, and persist in telling until their request for help is heard.” Our C.R.Y. advocates will become that much needed voice to speak up for the victims when the parents or guardians, who cannot, will not or are afraid to do so. This will also be incorporated into the community, not just the schools.
The C.R.Y. Anti-Bullying Program Way of Life is the foundation for which all our other programs are built around.
· Green Energy Technology Design
· Game Programming
· Martial Arts
· Life Skills
· Core Educational Programs
· Job skills training
The main and only focus at this time is on the C.R.Y. Anti-Bullying Program Way of Life All other programs will be implemented in the future. This will be the pilot model and the first of its kind anywhere. Other locations will be implemented in the future. Each phase will be documented on multimedia and print. Informational literature will be made available to various organizations interested in helping to stop bullying. C.R.Y will have all components of a true anti-bullying “program” that will be proactive and provide a true safe haven. Thank you in advance for all your support.