GOAL: We want to renovate a building, owned by our oganisation, in the City Center of San José, the capital of Costa Rica, to host the "Y-Hostel San José".
With the incomes of this accomodation we want to finance our programs for the benefit of the costarican families and children. For more information on our programs visit our Website at www.acjymcacostarica.com
For the renovation we need to buy paint, furniture for the hostel, etc.
We need to clean up the area and pay our staff the first few months until the Hostel starts to return a profit.
Who we are:
The YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) is one of the oldest and
largest Movements for youth in the world. Founded in 1844, it now
operates in 119 countries, and reaching 58 million people. The YMCA
works to bring social justice and peace to young people and their
communities, regardless of religion, race, gender or culture.
The World Alliance of YMCAs, based in Geneva, Switzerland, is a confederation of National Councils of YMCAs around the world.
The World Alliance:
- Strengthens the capacity of National YMCA Movements by providing training and technical support, sharing good practices, resources, and minimum standards
- Advocates globally on issues affecting young people in collaboration with, and on behalf of YMCAs
- Represents the YMCA at global level with media, donors, United Nations bodies, ecumenical organisations and other civil society partners
- Develops programmes to promote youth leadership
- Provides leadership to the YMCA Movement on thematic and mission issues
- Coordinates YMCA emergency response efforts
- Facilitates communications within the world Movement through publications and multimedia
Sustainable Development Education & Vocational Training
Health & HIV/AIDS Prevention
Civic Engagement & Human Rights Education
In addition to undertaking research, awareness-raising, and training in these programme areas, YMCAs also advocate to ensure adequate national and international public policies that protect and promote the rights of youth and women in particular. Through these actions, YMCAs are creating long-lasting change in the lives of millions of youth and the communities of which they are part. In all activities, strong emphasis is given to youth leadership and youth participation.