Bridget’s Second Chance

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 29, 2016

Tonight we hope to take a night ferry back to Palma. Unfortunately couldn't book with the company that had been so helpful on the way here. (So a little nervous.) Thanks to all of you for helping make this possible. We know more about Bridget's neurological status because of the MRI, we know about her overall health because of the numerous tests, and we have a drug that we think can address the resistant infection - all because of this trip to Barcelona. It was expensive, as you can see in the photos, it cost more than 2000 euros in vet bills alone. (Ferry, return - about 149 euros.) So if you know of anyone who might be able to donate, please forward the url. Thanks, again!

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 27, 2016

Thanks to both of you for your kindness.

I hope Bridget can preside over your backyard again some time in the future.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 27, 2016

The results of the culture are in. While it is not good news, there is a narrow path forward. The culture came back positive for multi-drug resistant klebsiella pneumoniae. Essentially the same result as from the Palma lab, but with two important differences. Unfortunately the infection is resistant to Imepenem which is the drug that would have to be administered by IV. However, they tested one additional drug, amikacin, and the bacteria is sensitive. She must have a baseline kidney test done. If all goes well they will start with this drug tonight, by IV. Then I will be able to administer injections at home. For this option alone it was worth coming to Barcelona. There are, however, significant risks to this drug, including a possible worsening of her vestibular symptoms.

So many of you have supported me in this effort in many ways. It was very important to better understand her neurological status and to seek appropriate treatment for her infections. Please understand that what we now have is greater clarity about options and risks. There are not many options and they carry a lot of risk.

With your help, we have learned three important things. The pneumocephalus has resolved; the anti-seizure drugs and prednisone must continue; and there is one antibiotic option we didn't know about before coming to Barcelona.

Bridget has been through a lot. With your help she is getting her second chance.

I will post some photos of vet bills. I believe we are at about 1600 euros billed, not counting the MRI. We can expect another 400 euros or a little more. (You will see these are from the clinic in Barcelona and are for the last five-six days.) Hopefully she will be discharged on Friday and the total will be in the vicinity of 2400 euros, in vet bills alone.

You have donated half of her Barcelona costs to date. It has been such a relief. It meant it was realistic to make decisions about Bridget's future based on her best interests. Please consider donating and sharing a little more. We are almost there.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 27, 2016

Thanks, everyone, for your generous donations, including Sean, the latest donor. I really appreciate it. Reading MRIs must really be more of an art than a science because the first vet to read the images is back and still has doubts about the tumour site. She also added that there is a lesion that resulted from the last set of seizures. The clinic that performed the surgery had tapered her off anti-seizure medications and prednisone but there is a consensus here that going forward Bridget will have to stay on prednisone and phenobarbitol for some time. That information isn't really what I want to hear, but it's why a second opinion was necessary (even before the latest seizures), and they believe she will adjust to the medications. No one really knows at this point how much recovery we can expect in terms of neurological symptoms or how long it will take. To be frank, the symptoms are heartbreaking - and, I hope, temporary - because they rob her of her personality. They expected culture results today and will call. Given that WBC is lower on her current antibiotics (more info from today) I think we can hope we will not see an MDR infection.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 26, 2016

Today we may have results of 'staining' but we won't have full cultures available for a couple more days. To recap - a culture done in Palma had shown a multi-drug resistant infection. The only drug to which that bacteria is sensitive has to be administered in-hospital, intravenously, for two weeks. However the vets in Barcelona were not prepared to proceed based on those results. So we are waiting for results from a culture they sent out on Saturday. If there is a drug to be administered orally, she can come home sooner. If by injection, we will try to arrange things in Palma. But the IV treatment is likely best done here.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 26, 2016

Most of you are on facebook and are seeing updates there. But just a quick update. I heard from a different neurologist yesterday about the report on the MRI. What we had heard first was the initial reading of the images. It seems like she does not have meningitis. The areas of contrast are 'something' but not that. This is a good thing (1) although it does mean neurological recovery will likely depend on time (and prednisone) rather than a turnaround due to antibiotics.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 24, 2016

I saw Bridget yesterday evening. The good news - she's eating and drinking, and recognizes me. The clinic is waiting for results from cultures to decide on antibiotics to treat the meningitis/sepsis. That may take four days from when they sent out the samples - yesterday. At this point, they won't prescribe on the basis of the culture done in Mallorca showing a multi-drug resistant klebsiella pneumoniae infection. So, Bridget is hanging in there, and we need your support for what might be a long stay.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 23, 2016

Bridget's MRI shows signs of meningitis. So she had to have a puncture done to culture cerebral spinal fluid before they can select different antibiotics than what she is currently on; I'll post estimates the vet has given me ASAP. Quick summary - MRI cost 425 euros. Plus transport to MRI facility, emergency treatment and initial consultations. Not sure of total yet. Following MRI, vet's estimate for 4 days of tests (including CSF puncture), many tests and cultures, consultations: 1400 euros. If she needs treatment with late generation antibiotic it will take longer than 4 days. I saw her last night and she looks good compared to Wednesday and Thursday. She is getting higher doses of the antibiotics we have been giving her the last week or so. She's still on prednisone. She reminds me of Gail Devers, the great American hurdler: She just keeps crossing them, in spite of the odds. But we can't do this without you.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 20, 2016

Bridget just had a seizure. I gave her diazepam and she is ok for now. I will take her to her neighborhood vet this morning. This is worrying because lack of seizures was the only positive outcome of the surgery.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Colleen Mackey On Jul 15, 2016

Bridget is having a good morning. Appetite has varied a lot. This morning she wanted more egg.

photo

We are on our way to Barcelona. Walk on. Cheaper but not easy. The ferry is called ’Tenacia’. We like that!

Colleen Mackey

Update posted by Jul 21

photo

Thanks everyone, we’re around half-way to covering the cost of the ferry! Then the next chunk is for the MRI.

Colleen Mackey

Update posted by Jul 19

photo

Bridget herself seems stable. But last night was discouraging as the implications of her urine culture sunk in. She has a multiple drug resistant UTI, probably from a catheter. The only drug on the list from the lab has to be given by IV. Something else to follow up with in Barcelona.

Colleen Mackey

Update posted by Jul 18

photo

Thanks Steve, Michele, and Hugo! Really appreciate it. The last six weeks have been isolating at times. Your support means everything.

Colleen Mackey

Update posted by Jul 18

photo

Thanks to everyone supporting and following Bridget’s fundraiser. Because of the vestibular problems, Bridget does sometimes slip and fall during the short distance to and from the balcony. She usually pauses and gets going again after a bit of petting. Today she had a little bit harder fall and is quiet now. Hopefully she picks up this afternoon. Tomorrow I will head to the ferry ticket office. There may be some discounts if I have the right paperwork on residency.

Colleen Mackey

Update posted by Jul 17

photo

Thanks, everyone, for your support. Bridget’s recent improvements seem to be holding. We still need to see whether the pneumocephalus has resolved, but the last few days have been reassuring. I’ve scoped out the ticket office for the ferry and talked to the driver. I think we can save some money by taking two night ferries there and back.

Colleen Mackey

Update posted by Jul 16

Add a Comment

SHOW MORE UPDATE
photo

Sean Watts

Backed with €100.00 On Jul 27, 2016

photo

To get her back on her feet! We hope Bridget will recover soon and all of this will just be a bad nightmarein the past.lots of hugs for bridget and you from Marcel and Anita

Anita Berghmans

Backed On Jul 24, 2016 Amount Hidden

photo

Anonymous

Backed with €300.00 On Jul 23, 2016

photo

Anonymous

Backed with €70.00 On Jul 19, 2016

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Jul 18, 2016 Amount Hidden

photo

Feell better, Bridget!

Hugo Azinheira

Backed On Jul 18, 2016 Amount Hidden

photo

Because Bridget is your 'baby' and I have seen how much you care for her. Best wishes for a good outcome. cheers Michele

Michele Sutherland

Backed with €30.00 On Jul 17, 2016

photo

Fingers crossed for both of you!

Nancie McKinnon

Backed with €20.00 On Jul 15, 2016

photo

Sorry it's not more...

Sue Lean

Backed with €50.00 On Jul 15, 2016

photo

Thanks. I appreciate this so much.

Colleen Mackey

Posted On Jul 15, 2016

SHOW MORE COMMENTS
Add a Comment

photo

Colleen Mackey

Campaign Owner

send a message

photo

Kenda Gee

Following Since Jul 16, 2016

photo

Nancie McKinnon

Following Since Jul 15, 2016

photo

Sean Watts

Following Since Jul 15, 2016

photo

Susan McGorray

Following Since Jul 15, 2016