Our lovely girl Jackie is miraculously fighting to still be with us after the accident.
Since we brought her home, she has been livelier and more importantly, her breathing has started to get better. We were trying not to be too hopeful in the beginning, as we know accident victims can get better suddenly as they’re gathering strength to say good bye.
On the inside, her vet has told us that her internal organs are still recovering thankfully, but at a very slow pace. One good sign though, is that she’s drinking and eating her meals on her own.
To assess long term care needs, we removed her Urinary Catheter and have placed her in diapers, and have been relieved to find that she is able to control her bladder to pee. However, we don’t know when she would pee/soil herself, so we've placed her in a comfortable position with a pee-pad and continuous monitoring.
While it’s a miracle that she’s still alive, unfortunately nothing has changed on the movement front. Her back legs are still paralyzed, with no deep pain sensation, and we're giving continuous massages on the legs due to muscle loss.
At the moment, we can definitely tell that shes happier to spend quality time with us by her side.
We’re so thankful for all of you who kept Jackie in your prayers. It has meant so much to us, and clearly to this dear girl as well since she’s still fighting so hard to be with us.
We’re really sorry for the lack of updates, but it’s truly been a roller coaster ride since Jackie has come home last week. She is currently peeing with the help of a catheter, and we’re in the process of seeking opinions from other vets based on your recommendations on our options moving forward.
It’s honestly beyond our wildest dreams that she is still hanging on here with us, all the vets had told us to prepare for the worse, but it seems that Jackie isn’t ready to leave us yet. In the mean time we are truly thankful for your messages of encouragement, and the contacts for some vets whom we should speak to.
Will update again when we have a final recommendation on how to proceed.
Provisional bill from Mt Pleasant Veterinary Centre Jalan Gelenggang as of 2.30pm: S$5,138.30
Provisional bill from Mt Pleasant Veterinary Centre Jalan Gelenggang as of 2.30pm: S$5,138.30
Total bill from Allpets & Aqualife Vets Pte Ltd - the clinic which Jackie was immediately brought to following the accident: S$471.87
19 Nov 10.30pm:
A final update on Jackie
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who has been there in this heart wrenching time. Potentially losing a loved one, 2 legged or 4, is always a traumatic experience - and this has been made even worse by the fact that it’s a hit-and-run with no real leads on the driver. I am aware that knowing who hit my Jackie and didn’t even stop to help will not bring her back, but I’m searching only for some hope that humanity and integrity still exists in this world. It’s also admittedly a bittersweet feeling because deep down I would not want that person to be doxxed as well, as from the past few days I’ve learned how cruel people can be online.
After reviewing the CT scans, the trauma that Jackie’s body has been through is far more extensive than we could have imagined. The scans revealed that the initial observations from the X-ray is only a fraction of what Jackie’s body has had to endure. Not only is she suffering from a spinal injury as initially thought, but there is significant nerve damage incl. a likely severed spinal cord, multiple internal organ damage, and continuous internal bleeding.
Any surgery plan would be extensive, likely requiring over 4-5 different surgeries that will need to be conducted separately. The increased risk of complications with every surgery (more worrying than the financial concerns), added to the uncertainty of whether she can survive even the first round and a possibility that it could also lead to full paralysis, makes this a very difficult decision. Blood donors would also likely be needed at each round, and finding a negative blood type donor (more rare than positive) will be challenging, and not to mention potentially cause discomfort and trouble to any donor dogs.
In summary, the overwhelming advice from not one vet but three, is that she only has a slim chance of surviving any surgery, and even then, any motor function afterwards would be slim to none.
With this in mind, even though the last thing you want to do is to say goodbye, these difficult circumstances coupled with the diagnosis and advice from multiple vets, we have all agreed that it will be the most humane choice to bring her home to spend her last days with the family. We have put her through enough, and we wish for her suffering to be short so that she can roam free in doggie heaven together with all the other goodest bois who have since passed. None of us are taking this decision lightly.
In this time, I have also reflected on the crowdfunding campaign I set up, read through the comments, and want to address the valid points. Putting aside what you as the public see from the outside - where you think I work and live - I can only reflect that I could have handled this better. Shock or trauma is no excuse for this, and I seek your understanding that I probably wasn’t in the right frame of mind when I set up the page, hence there may be a lack of information, for which I truly regret. As I have clarified in earlier comments, the initial estimate from Mt Pleasant upon admission after the X-ray was a ballpark of S$20k, which was provided based on the possibility of spinal surgery and diagnostic CT scans. Based on that, I had sought for support as I now faced a difficult financial situation. Without putting my family issues into the spotlight, I am the family’s sole breadwinner doing my best to support us all in this time. I only ask for your support and encouragement while I navigate through this painful journey with my family.
To the doubters, it has never been my intention to take advantage of the goodwill of others. I do not intend to use the funds raised to fully offset Jackie’s bills as ultimately she was my responsibility. Instead, half of the final bill will be offset by the funds raised, and I will cover the balance with the help of friends and family.
Any balance after that will be divided and donated in Jackie’s name to the following 7 no-kill dog shelters and animal charities: Animal Lovers League, Action for Singapore Dogs, Causes for Animals Singapore, Mutts & Mittens, Oasis Second Chance Animal Shelter, Save Our Street Dogs, and SPCA. I’m hoping to pay it forward to help those who need it more than me. For receipts from Jackie’s medical bills, and screenshots of the donations, I will be updating all of this information on this page moving forward.
Lastly, I want to appeal for some kindness, and empathy. It is easy to sit behind your keyboard, make assumptions, and judge - everyone makes mistakes. But having experienced it firsthand myself, I can only tell you that words can cut deeper than you realise. I am choosing to focus on the silver lining, and appreciate that so many have reached out and offered assistance in terms of contacts, advice, and especially those who called the vet to offer to be on standby with their precious pups for blood donations if required for emergency transfusions - I will dwell on the kindness of these strangers instead.
Thank you for all your prayers and beautiful words, for your kindness and sharing the posts to spread the awareness in hopes we find the perpetrator, thank you to the dog community for coming together to offer your support, and thank you to those who have found it in your heart to give when you may also be wanting. Please take the time to hug your loved ones a little harder today, before it is time to say goodbye.
19 Nov 1.30pm:
Received the CT scan report from the vet. The damage is so much more extensive than we had initially thought. Among so many things: likely severed spinal cord, possible concurrent intraverterbral disc trauma, fractures, tears... the list goes on. I can’t imagine the pain Jackie is in right now.
18 Nov 8pm:
Thank you to all 305 of you that have donated, and to the many more that have sent prayers our way and kept Jackie in your thoughts. I’ve stopped the campaign, and will take the time to read through your comments and suggestions while we wait for an update from the vet. For full transparency, I’ll continue to update this post with the receipts, updates from Dr Chua. I also really want to thank people who have reached out and shared not only their experiences, but also their contacts who we will discuss with the Mt Pleasant vets on whether and how to seek a second opinion. I really didn’t expect this amount of support and it’s extremely overwhelming. Please accept my gratitude, I have been humbled by the love and support from strangers. Finally as I had earlier shared, I will not be expecting to pay off the bills fully with this campaign - I am planning to put in my own funds and the breakdown will be shared with everyone for full transparency. Please keep Jackie in your thoughts. Thank you and good night.
18 Nov 7pm:
CT scan has been done in the late afternoon, results are expected in 24-48 hours. The prognosis from Dr Chua as of 7 is still the same: lack of deep pain sensation persists. She’s recovering so unable to visit her this evening, but will visit Jackie again tomorrow afternoon. Thankfully, red blood cell count is stable so a transfusion is not required - Jackie is negative type blood which is harder to find a donor dog. I’ve also received an update from the clinic that some kind samaritans have called in to offer transfusions from their dogs if required - for that I will be forever grateful.
18 Nov 5.30pm:
Have posted the vet’s initial assessment in the comments below, which is what I’ve also used for submission in the police report. The estimated cost of surgery which was provided by Dr Chua upon admission to MP is around S$20k and up, hence the target amount I had originally set up. All receipts will be posted once received. The Allpets receipt (which is where Jackie was brought immediately upon the accident) will also be posted in the comments shortly. Thank you all for your kind words.
18 Nov 2.30pm:
I have posted the itemized bill as of now in the comments below as I can’t add a photo to the post. To all who have been supportive - words cannot truly express how much I really appreciate it. To the dissenters - I hope that this is enough to change your hearts, and I genuinely hope you’ll never have to experience the same hurt I’m going through now.
18 Nov 2pm:
Based on the vet's (Dr Chua) recommendation, we will proceed with the CT scan for 3 zones to fully assess the situation. An X-ray has already been done on admission but he has advised that the CT is the best course of action before we make the next decision. The initial estimate he has given is S$3k+ for the CT on top of the S$3k+ already spent for admission and stabilisation at All Pets Seletar and Mt Pleasant Jalan Gelenggang. Once I have the itemised bills, I will update the post with the photos. Thanks all so far for your support.
Thank you so much for the unwavering community and support for spreading assistance and awareness. I wouldn't usually do this unless I really need the support.
Jackie is now In the Vet Mount Pleasant Gelenggang. Stable condition before any updates to process. The vet updated me that she has to go for immediate surgery around 12-15K.
I hope that everything would go smoothly in the event of a surgery under the supervision of the vet. I thank you all and should any access would definitely be used to help out other dogs in need..