Updates on Critical and life threatening condition, please Help Muffin the ex-breeding, abandoned & rescued Schnauzer dog

Update posted by Kassen Chu On Jun 22, 2019

Thanks everyone for your support.

Muffin was having difficulty breathing on 28/5/19, admitted to Westside Emergency/Landon Veterinary Clinic and collapse by them.

As per 14-Jun-2019 medical report from Mount Pleasant Gelenggang.

Muffin was presented on 31/5/19 at Mount Pleasant Gelenggang. Their doctors had noted an increase in upper-airways noise, suggestive of larangeal/pharengeal lesion. An upper airway problem resulting in secondary aspiration pneumonia or non-cardiogenic pulmonary oedema was thought most likely.

An echocariography has luckily ruled out heart failure which Westside Emergency/Landon Veterinary Clinic incorrectly suggested.

Thromboembolic disease (clot) was thought less likely based on Muffin's improvement and the absence of pulmonary hypertension on echocargiography.

Muffin has responded well to antibiotic treatment and has stabilized. Multiple blood tests showed normalization of her inflammatory marker and radiographs showed improvements of her lung lesions.

It appears Muffin still has inherent respiratory issues which would require endoscopy and advanced imaging (CT scan). Due to the need for anesthesia, the risks of anaesthesia; potential for repeat aspiration; the uncertainty of her prognosis and the costs involved, hence doctors have recommended to postpone this in the mean time. As such, this may potentially be a recurring issue 😭.

We must thank the doctors at Mount Pleasant As per 14-Jun-2019 medical report from Mount Pleasant Gelenggang for their diagnosis, recommendation, and care for Muffin, very glad we made the right decision transfer Muffin out from Westside Emergency/Landon Veterinary Clinic.

Muffin continues to recover under the fosterer's care. She will need to finish her antibiotics and continue to monitor her respiration to ensure it is within range, restrict her exercise and avoid heat stress.

Thanks for all your support, please help us spread the word to help meet our goal 🙏🏼.








Add a Comment

Update posted by Kassen Chu On Jun 11, 2019

With much relieve, we are pleased to advise that Muffin's Sunday’s CRP result shows 0.5 mg/dL, meaning her inflammation is under control and not deteriorating.

We are also lucky enough to find a new fosterer, who can provide around the clock supervision and care to Muffin in case her condition deteriorates.

We can see that Muffin is much happier to finally be out of the hospital cage and see some familiar faces again. She continues to take her anti-biotics and needs to take it easy, get more rest and avoid too much exercise. She is really looking forward to catching up on all the play time she missed over the last few weeks, hence we really hope she can recover and get well ASAP.

Although Muffin is still a young girl, she has already been through a lot, and may be requiring long term medication and special care for the life ahead of her.

On coming Friday, we will bring Muffin back to the specialist for follow-up and see what the doctor recommends next, along with the CT scan for more in-depth analysis and any further treatment/medications as necessary. Please continue pray for Muffin on her this coming Friday assessment will be positive.

We are still short of our target, the follow-up and CT scan will be expected to be $2k-$3k. We appreciate your help and support, and thanks to everyone who have contributed🙏

Please help us spread the word also!

Add a Comment

Update posted by Kassen Chu On Jun 04, 2019

Hello everyone, just a quick update.

We continue to monitor Muffin's condition closely, particularly the respiratory rate. Doctors have indicated that her breathing rate falls outside of the ideal target range at times.

We continue to patiently wait and observe until she becomes more stable.

Muffin's throat seems to give her some discomfort when eating. Hence, we have switched to wet food (fishy kind, as she's allergic to chicken), which luckily she seems to tolerate a bit better.

We hope that Muffin's condition can stabilize ASAP so that she can proceed to do the CT scan as recommended by the doctors.

In order to do the CT scan, Muffin will go under anesthesia, which carries a high risk, especially after her cardiac arrest and resuscitation.

Thanks again for everyone's support and encouragement to date (we do read all of your kind and motivating comments), please continue to pray for Muffin 🙏

Add a Comment

Update posted by Kassen Chu On Jun 01, 2019

Muffin was safely and successfully transferred to the Mount Pleasant hospital yesterday morning by her 2-human team Kassen (fosterer) and the rescuer. She did very well putting on a brave face and stayed calm in the car, although she remained on oxygen during the 30 min ride. Special thanks to the bystander Uncle who offered us a ride out of good will, as it was impossible to get a taxi at the time and one who would accommodate a dog.

At Mount Pleasant, Muffin was given an echocariography. The doctors are suspecting that her complications were a result of a throat and lungs infection. At this preliminary stage, they suspect that the cause may have been result of being debarked by her breeder, which is a surgery to remove the tissue from the vocal cord to permanently damage her throat, preventing her from barking. The doctors now recommend for a CT scan for more in-depth analysis, but we must wait until Muffin's condition becomes stable enough before we proceed. For now, doctors have put her on medication and will continue to monitor her situation at the hospital.

As of May 31st, the cumulative medical bill incurred is $4,302.46 (refer to photos). As mentioned, Muffin will need to do a CT scan, which we provision for another $2,000-$3000 (along with medications, consultations, etc).

Muffin's 2-human team will continue to fight hard alongside Muffin for her road to recovery and do everything we can, but we really need your financial support to keep this hope alive. No amount is too small, any contributions from you will go a long way. We sincerely thank everyone for their contribution and hope you can continue to help Muffin 🙏

ReplyForward
Add a Comment

Update posted by Kassen Chu On May 30, 2019

Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes so far. Muffin remains in critical and high risk condition, although her condition hasn't deteriorated further. Tomorrow, May 31st, we will be transferring Muffin to the Mount Pleasant Veterinary Clinic, where she will see a cardiologist for next steps.

The move itself will also be high risk - we have sourced an oxygen tank to keep her on O2 during the trip, and the trip will be anywhere from 20-40 minutes by car. We really hope that Muffin can remain calm during the trip, keeping her blood pressure stable and not leading to any further heart complications.

Please help pray that Muffin can arrive at the clinic safely, where she will receive the medical treatments that she needs. No amount is too small, we sincerely appreciate your generosity. Please also help spread the word!

Add a Comment