Oct 21, 2021 at 02:18 pm
Trial has startedUpdate posted by Nicholas Kostopoulos
The trial of the 6 defendants charged with causing deadly bodily harm to Zak Kostopoulos/Zackie Oh began yesterday, 20 October 2021, at the Athens Court of First Instance.
Our complete report regarding the first session will be posted on our English-language website within the next few days.
Meanwhile, here are the takeaways from the first day of the trial:
• Attendance for the general public is restricted due to COVID-19 measures.
• Only 4 journalists are allowed in the courtroom at the same time.
• No photojournalists are allowed in the courtroom, as requested by the police officers among the defendants.
• Διεθνής Αμνηστία - Ελληνικό Τμήμα, Orlando LGBT+ and ZackieOh Justice Watch are allowed one observer each.
• The court denied a motion by the defense for another deferral of the trial.
• The court proceeded to examine the first three witnesses for the prosecution, namely Zak’s father, brother and mother.
• The defense attorneys’ cross-examination strategy focused on questions that sought to incriminate the victim.