Updates on Save a two-year old leukemia stricken, Maine

Bone Marrow Transplant would give her 60-70% chance of full recovery. Without it, she’ll only have 30% chance of having a normal life back.
Update posted by Rosemarie Manabat Manansala On Sep 25

I KNOW THIS IS QUITE A NARRATIVE. BUT PLEASE, DO READ UP. A CHILD NEEDS YOU.

Maine was able to complete her chemotherap treatment protocol which lasted five months including blood transfusion and confinement for infection management. However, her oncologist stipulated the need for transplant. It took a while before the family were able to sit down for a consult with the transplant doctor. it was rescheduled a couple of times as Maine’s platelet counts were erratic and unforeseaable. Along with it was probably the feeling of not wanting to hear nor be engaged in any more procedure over her sickness. Maine had a total of one hundred eighteen (118) needle pricks in a span of five long months. The notion of having her go through whatever that would involve needle pricks is just so savage and strenous on such a little girl. But then, this is something we should have a grasp on, something we should somehow have knowledge and familiarity with.

The conference with Dr. Allan Racho, Pediatric Hematology and Transplant doctor transpired at St. Lukes, BGC, Taguig, yesterday evening. He established the fact that Maines’ chance of full recovery is only at 30% without bone marrow transplant. On the contrary, she will have 60-70% chance of full recovery/remission if treatment will proceed. He instantaneously suggested for the transplant to be done the soonest since Maine is categorized under high risk. The schedule for the Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy was supposedly by the end of November. However, we were told that having it done a month after her last chemotherapy cycle is much more beneficial. If results show an absolute remission, chemotherapy with probably a higher dose would be dispensable and nonessential. The entire process would take 4-6 weeks which requires Maine to be hospitalized all through out. We were advised to come up with Two Million Pesos (Php 2,000,000.00) that is if chemotherapy’s unecessary. Meanwhile, BMA and biopsy are scheduled on October 8.

We all have been a witness of how Maine fought her battle with Leukemia. We hoped her 5th chemotherapy cycle wa the last of it. This is another combat she has to pull off and win. We are genuinely optimistic. You and everyone else who’s reading and sharing this post would emulate the actions of soft-hearted, good samaritans for a child who’s profoundly in need of help.

We will soon launch another fundraising campaign. Please do participate as all the proceeds amassed would ensue bone marrow transplant for our little brave girl. Those who would want to offer monetary assistance can deposit in the bank details posted on this page or you can contact Maine’s parents at 0906-874-7886/0932-881-2436.

Maine’s home with her sister and both of them will be celebrating their birthdays on October 7.

We will keep you all posted. Please continue to pray for her healing and be with us until Maine is no longer shackled and captive of this disease.

God bless us all.

Add a Comment