Last September 5, 2018, Sey was admitted due to severe cough @ Binangonan Lakeview Hospital.
Initial diagnosis was bronchial asthma/Tonsillopharyngitis, she was discharged (sept 8) and took antibiotics for 7 days. After seven days, swollen lymph nodes in the neck became highly noticeable. Went to pedia for follow-up, a stronger antibiotic was given as the infection was still there, this time for 10 days.
The swelling of lymph nodes persisted and more appeared at the lower back of the head. Snoring also became louder during her sleep, it was really disturbing to hear. We went back to the pedia after 10 days, this time she was being reffered to an ENT doctor. Another stronger antibiotic was prescribed, but still things got worse as days go by.
We went back to the ENT doctor, this time she went through a CT Scan. When the CT scan result was released, the ENT doctor was abroad so our pedia explained the results. This time we are being referred to a Pedia Hema/Onco as there are signs of lymphoma. We are using a health card so her pedia searched for an accredited doctor. She found one in Taguig but it was very far from Binangonan Rizal, so my wife suggested to search in The Medical City as it was nearer. Luckily there's one, but only one and it took several rescheduling because the doctor was too preoccupied with other appointments.
Finally, on October 18 we were able to meet the Pedia Hema/Oncologist. The doctor recommended that Sey needed to be admitted immediately to undergo a series of medical testing. But her 2nd grading exam was due the following days so we had to delay a few more days before going back to the hospital for admission.
On October 24, she was admitted and they started the series of testing. She was cleared from infectious diseases, meaning, the swelling was not caused by an infection. On a normal case, we should be happy she was cleared but in this case we would prefer to hear it was an infectious disease.
On October 27, she underwent a biopsy procedure where a sample tissue was extracted from her neck and at the same time a bone marrow aspiration was also done (If this is a big C, they need to check how far it has spread). After the procedures, we were discharged while waiting for the results. Unfortunately, when we got back further testing were needed for the biopsy sample (separate cost) and again results were delayed due to November holidays.
On November 6, Onco gave us a call and told us that Sey needed to be admitted immediately as the results are already out. Then the saddest news, she was diagnosed with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (T-ALL), a type of leukemia which is aggressive and progresses quickly. Crashed as we were, still there was one detail that can make things even worse, the stage. We were so shocked that we failed to asked this one detail, we found out the following day, stage 4. Barely two months since we saw the obvious signs that she was ill, now we are dealing with a stage 4 big C. If you are a parent, what you can imagine how one would react from hearing such news is not very far from what we went through.
We could not stay in-denial for even a week as the need to treat her immediately gives you no time to absorb what is happening. Her first dose of chemo was administered during this confinement which lasted for nine days. After 9 days of confinement, our health card was exhausted so we needed to start paying cash.
From November 17 to 25, 2018 she received her second set of chemo meds. She was vomiting consistently so the supposedly 24 hours medicine (one of the many) was cut to 22 hours as the side effects are showing too early. She was nauseous for several days, but showed signs of recovery. After the agony of seing your child suffer, now comes the hospital bill (240k). I was able to secure a loan during the confinement, but I did not expect that it will be fully utilized on a single confinement.
On November 27, 2018, we are back in the hospital for another chemo session. it was scheduled to be an out-patient chemo treatment but due to severe vomiting after travelling far she needed to be confined to ensure that she will not be dehydrated after the chemo. This confinement was just less than 24 hours but we were already using the funds from friends to cover the bill.
The protocol is scheduled to three years of medication with many types of chemo, testing, procedures and confinements needed almost every week.
INDUCTION PHASE (4 weeks) - Done
INTENSIFICATION (6-9 months) - In Progress
MAINTENANCE (2 years)
Even with help and support from our family and close friends, the cost is just too much for our capacity so we are reaching out for your help to support Sey’s medical expenses.
For Direct Donations:
BPI ACCOUNT: Zaldy L. Mendova / 3309056883
BDO ACCOUNT: Ira Ceres C. Mendova / 010080161812
THANK YOU SO MUCH! 😘😘
Zisly Moriko C. Mendova/ 9yo
T-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Patient
You may visit her Facebook page here: