With the Earthquake crisis in Mindanao, particularly Davao and North Cotabato, we know that many are eager to help and are actively searching for effective outlets to channel their support. It’s the first time, that we've had series of strong quakes and aftershocks in high magnitude since October 16, 2019. Currently, most of the homes and structures were severely damaged, including toppled power lines and landslides in the central area of Mindanao. The quake that wrought widespread damage to estimated 1,331 infrastructures and displaced over 3,273 families. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has reminded the public to be ready for anything, including a much stronger 7.2-magnitude earthquake in that area.
The death toll in Mindanao has risen to seven and could rise further because many injured were not immediately brought to hospitals. Smaller tremors rattled nervous residents throughout the day and those who were afraid to return to their homes set up tents to shelter near school yards and open areas.
In line with this devastating and heartbreaking crisis, we are knocking to your kind hearts - please support and help provide the following assistance that will benefit the homeless families:
1. Pray and fast. We believe in the power of prayer to help and sustain those who face disasters. Join in prayer personally, as a family, or as a congregation.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
2. Goal for Short Term solution - Donate in kind or in cash for the following while they are in evacuation areas:
- Food that are easy to prepare and eat - canned food, noodles, rice, etc
- Tent / Trapal
- Blankets / Banig
- For babies - diaper, milk, and other baby items
- Mosquito nets
Cheann Hilario - +639957240497
Sarah English Balolong - +6393006476696 / +639357007043
Bang Hilario - +639992231363
Address: Poblacion Makilala North Cotabato
3. Goal for Long Term Solution - Donate in cash to rebuild their homes. We would like to target building modular homes which are quick-to-build, eco-friendly, sustainable and disaster-resilient shelters that are strong enough to withstand harsh winds/rains and mild earthquakes. We'll get in touch with Habitat for Humanity and local municipalities to seek help and assistance.
Our heartfelt and sincerest thanks for your help and support. Bayanihan, or what we call "community-spirit" is a core essence of the Filipino culture, especially in difficult times like this. Continue to be a blessing! Bangon Mindanao!