my name is Melissa Loos and I work as a horse trainer in Germany for a couple of years by now.
As an apprentice I worked for two internationally well-known studs ("HuL Marbach" and "Kauber Platte") which breed Arabian Horses.
Since 2016 I work on free terms as a horse trainer and riding instructor. My personal favours are Natural Horsemanship, Working Equitation, Endurance Riding, training of problem/traumathized horses, training young horses (breaking in) and making horses to good freetime partners in common.
I am an absolute Idealist and perfectionalist and most of all an absolute animal friend who would rather sell his car than his horse. I am though quite realistic as I am a very logical-orientied person (INTP).
I do plan to devote all my life to animals and escpecially horses.
Being an autist and highly intellectual person I do often struggle with the ordinary way of life, with people and with ordinary working conditions. I do though can stand on my own feet handle all the practical work an animal business needs to keep on running.
Caring for animals is what I can do 24/7, learning everything about them there is.
When I want to achieve something, I achieve it. Example: I wanted to drive trucks. So I made the licence and can drive all the machines needed for running an agricultural project.
I did set a goal to make my young horse as handy as a dog is. After half a year of teaming up with him we already reached a high level of horsemanship - that horse is only 3 years old but needs no halter or rope and simply listens - not like a robot but as a caring friend. I can tell him to follow or wait. To go and to run after me and right now he is learning to lay down (he already lays down when I push him into it, but that still takes time as we just started)
I do tell you this so you get an insight of what I am doing.
I have been called a horse-whisperer quite often in live even though I never claimed to be one. Guess, now I will do this and claim: I am a person listening to horses.
I stand in for animal-friendly keeping and treament. I am a revolutioneer and don't mind being the first one to stand up and move something to the better.
Please understand, that I deeply do believe that every cent you invest in me you invest in animal protection and prevention of animal abuse and harm. Prevention is way more effective than caring afterwards.
All my life I never met the perfect horse stable. Here in Germany there are only few examples of outstanding horse-keeping. I want to set the most outstanding place for horses and riders there is!
Sadly most goals are only available when you got the money to pay them.
These are the plans for the near and far future:
- Study animal medicine (I should be able to start by end of this or next year) for 5,5 years.
- Visiting seminars, courses, training, getting licences
- Buy an auto-follow camera (pixio) to set up a video blog for horse training which will function as advertisement but also for education
- Create a blog and make social marketing about natural horsemanship-based topics
- Building or buying a horse stables - free range stabling for geldings and young stallions (until the age of ~ 3 years, individually depending on whenever they start fighting) on the one side and the mares on the other. At least two separated groups but most favoured the opportunity to separate into smaller groups when needed (as can occur when old horses don't get enough rest in a group of younger horses). There should be vast, extensive meadows and single boxes for quarantine, older stallions and guests, automatic feeder and hay and water 24/7, both an indoor and outdoor arena, a horse walker, solarium, wash place, sanitary rooms, a kitchen room and a room for seminars (an old friend of mine gives seminars for managers where the encounter with horses is part of the course; and I do plan to combine that one idea with the other as that was quite rentable for all sides.
Multiple-Daily health and birth control, vet, farrier, riding instructor, horse trainer, deworming, vaccination; all services offered by the stable management. I will keep them all as if they were my horses. Only that as usual, people will pay for the stable place so the stable can keep running.
Most important will always be the horse.
- Take in of animal-protection-cases/abused animals including the resocialisation, feeding up, retraining and if possible, selling them in good hands. I would try and find sponsors for those horses that won't be able to find a new owner.
- Besides in my "freetime" I would open a little animal shelter (just as big as can be handled) - I would recrute volunteers and offer places for young people to take care of animals and be rewarded with riding and deals like that. Many dogs could be taken out by riders as well and cats do like living at stables, so my animal shelter could offer some quite nice space to animals.
- If possible in any way I would run a veterinerian clinic (horse clinic maybe, or animal clinic in general) besides that. Combine that. I think this combination is unique yet in Germany. I know that people will love my concept. I was asked to treat horses since I was a student. People kept on asking me: "Melissa, do you want to ride my horse?" "Can you take care of him?". So, this simply is what I am best at. Taking care of animals, especially horses.
Maybe there are some helpful persons out there right now that are willing to help me create that vision of mine. To make a better place for horses in Germany. I have a dream and I hold this dream to be a much valuable one. Any penny helps.
You are welcome to leave messages when donating and may also leave a suggestion where you would like that money to go to.
At request I gladly will send more information. I know I got the guts to make this dream work - who will escort me on that way?
I Thank You so much for your attention!
Help spread the word!