“There is a deep wisdom within our flesh, if we can only come to our senses and feel it.” James Baldwin”
*****You can also send donations to my venmo: dominique-hollis and cashapp: $DomoLashea if this is more convenient for you.*****
Dominique is a healing- centered activist, cultivating holistic wellness through interactive and culturally affirming events and practices. Dominique has a passion for creating affirming spaces for racially marginalized peoples to be safe, courageous, and self- loving. She aspires to help at-promise youth, adults, and families deepen self-awareness and emotional intelligence. She believes her role as a yoga teacher, art teacher, and activist is to encourage communities to connect with and learn about themselves.
From the juncture of spiritual growth and vocational discernment, and after 3 years of working in non-profit, Dominique has decided to change pace and direction, to seek out social justice initiated from a place of wellness.
I decided that the future of my community organizing will happen from the basis of healing and wellness.
What is Akoma? Akoma is a community wellness org, created to help racially marginalized communities foster and maintain practices for mental and emotional wellbeing. Many issues influencing mental and emotional wellness are caused by lived experiences related to cultural identities, historical memories, and trauma. Akoma offers classes that honor and affirm wellness in black people, indigenous people, and people of color. Akoma promotes diversity in the wellness community by curating experiences for BIPOC to nurture the heart and mind of these diverse communities.
One of Akoma’s guiding principles is accessible. Offering programs at a low cost, helps to increase accessibility. Dominique achieves this by hosting her yoga class and art parties in community spaces, and shopping competitively for supplies. Help Dominique, by donating to her supply and start-up fund.
Check out the website to learn more!
I appreciate all donations and well wishes, thank you for helping me to fund my dream!
Donations will cover (listed in order of need):
- Yoga teacher registration. Obtained! Thanks for your donations!
- Yoga teaching insurance. Obtained! Thanks for your donations!
- Yoga props (20 blocks 199, 20 straps 224, and 10 yoga blankets 119.) $542.5 needed by October 6.
- Trauma informed yoga teacher training and continuing education.
- Sundara Yoga Therapy’s Trauma Informed Yoga Therapy training $525-$585
- Restorative Yoga for Resilience: Bouncing Back from Race Based Trauma Stress for People of Color
Ways to support:
- Patron Akoma’s yoga classes and paint parties (LOCAL).
- Book private yoga sessions, available at a discounted rate until crowdsourcing ends (LOCAL).
- Donate towards an art award and commission art work. 20 pieces are being offered as gogetfunding awards at a discounted rate of $150-$200. You can still commission artwork after the offer is gone. Contact Dominique for commissions here.