The congregation of the Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury, locally known as "The English Church," is privileged to have the use of a beautiful, historic church building in downtown Wiesbaden, Germany. Built in 1865, It is a spiritual home for our diverse, international membership as well as a base for ministry and outreach to those in need in Wiesbaden and beyond. We are also a cultural entity in Wiesbaden providing a wealth of cultural activities: concerts, theatre, recitals, book readings etc.
However, since the reconstruction of the church building after a major fire in 1966, there has been no major work on the fabric of the church and there is much to be done if the if we want to continue our work and witness for at least another 150 years. Our vision is to:
- Restore the historic building
- Renew our worship, education, and social space
- Create a welcoming entrance area and easier permanent access for the handicapped
This overhaul of our facilities is 5 year phased project, beginning in 2015, that includes:.
- Restoration of the sandstone exterior beginning with the main portal
- Modernisation of our fire safety systems
- Repair of damage to interior walls caused by dampness
- Construction of a glass partition at the back of the church
- Provision of permanent access to the building for disabled visitors
- Renovation of our sanitary as well as our kitchen facilities
- Restoration of our stained glass windows
- Modernisation of our heating, electrical wiring, and lighting systems
- Provision of easier maintenance access to roof and ceiling
- Provide more adaptable space for meetings
In total we expect the whole programme to cost over €500,000. The church, which receives no state or central church support and is financed by members' contributions and fundraising, has already raised nearly €200,000 internally and locally, but we need external - your - support to be able to complete all the projects.
In 2017 the main focus is on replacing the heating, making it both more energy efficient and effective, and on renovating and improving the handicapped access to the sanitary facilities. This is the area the money raised via this campaign will help finance.