My name is Benson, a photographer and Coordinator at Inua Mimi Rescue Centre. I am doing this campaign on behalf of Mike Ombongi. Some of my friends might ask who is he? or why I'm i doing this campaign on his behalf? but i hope i'll be able to answer your questions below.
PURPOSE OF THE CAMPAIGN
Mike was recently blessed with the news of being one of the candidates who've qualified to be awarded a degree of law (LLB) from the JOMO KENYATTA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNOLOGY.The graduation ceremony will be held virtually on 9th April 2021 ( www.jkuat.ac.ke ). However, he has currently failed to complete his tuition fees and complete the clearance process to enable him graduate.
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DONATING
1. Mike has been actively involved in most community projects initiated by IMRC and "Put a smile on a child's face". Volunteering and advocating for the various issues that involve children. His law degree would be an added advantage not only to him but the community as well.
2. The degree enables him to join the Advocates Training Programme (ATP) at the Kenya School of Law for one to be admitted to the bar as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya. The programme this year commences on 5th May 2021 ( www.ksl.ac.ke ).
3. Missing out on this year's intake at the Kenya School of Law means that he shall waste a whole year out before he can be admitted for the programme in 2022.
Mike was born and raised in Kibera Slums.The first born in a family of four. Coming from a disadvantaged background, his parents made education a priority because they knew it was the only way they could escape the hardship that they endured. He was fortunate enough to be admitted for the LLB programme in 2012. However, he deferred his studies multiple times due to lack of school fees and to also give his siblings the opportunity to get a basic education. This led him to work two jobs, a deejay and an events organizer to enable him pay his tuition fee for three years. Last year when Covid struck, there was a ban on all social gatherings and a closure of bars and restaurants which meant he was no longer working and in a position to service his tuition fee. He was able to plead his case with the school administration and was allowed to continue with the final year of study online as he worked out a payment plan to complete his tuition fee. The current balance is Ksh. 225,000 ($2250) as at March 28th 2021. No access to student loans and the ban on social gatherings still being enforceable, has made it difficult for him to work and complete his balance.
HOW YOUR DONATION WILL HELP
1. Mike has an interest in working with children and the overall goal is to use the degree to advocate for the various human rights that are being violated in the community i.e. Gender based violence, early marriages e.t.c.
2. His graduation shall serve as an inspiration to the children he interacts with, most of whom are from a disadvantaged background that anything is possible and that you can dare dream.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS CAMPAIGN ON HIS BEHALF
Most of you already know that i work at (IG: @putasmileonachildsface ) as a photographer telling stories and addressing the various issues affecting our community through photos. I also work as a coordinator at Inua Mimi Rescue Centre (IMRC), a home to 60+ children who are rescued from the community which faces Tribalism, Child Abandonment, Orphans, Early Marriage, Female Genital Mutilation, poverty and more. We provide shelter, give them basic education and expose them to arts such as dance, photography singing and other talents ( www.inuamimirescuecentre.org ). Mike has been one of the friends who supported us in various ways. Inviting some of his friends to come support us through donations as well as always encouraging the children on working hard in school despite the hardship. e.t.c. Last year at the height of the covid pandemic he was part of my team who volunteered to distribute food donations, masks and sanitizers to some of the most affected families in the slums. I could not think of a better way to say Thankyou than this.
I understand not everyone would be able to donate to the campaign but it would mean a lot if you could share and spread the word around. Let us help him to rise and break free from the restrictions of his background and financial situation. Thank you in advance to everyone who chooses to be a part of this campaign either by donating or sharing.