Well, it seems that the 13 Bundles of Abundance have seriously challenged us.
We successfully found homes for all our bundles. 6 of them (Joba, Bindi, Bluey, Runi, Wolfie and Junior) were picked up by their new carers prior to December, and the other 7 (Chunk, Linda, Tai, White Paw, Blackie, Buddhi and Bob), somehow, had all worked out to be picked up in January.
Then we had an emergency mid December when we found Tai had broken his tibia and the whole operation cost 450 euros. We were staggered. Yet this is only how the story starts ...
A few days after Tai got back he started throwing up and wasn't able to hold anything down. I thought it must have already been hard enough for him going through the operation, then this. I thought it was the result of some infection from the operation, but it turned out to be worse ...
He had Parvovirus. It's quite often fatal. If I hadn't have taken him to the vets so soon he could have died.
We weren't really ready for what happened next ...
The other remaining 6 puppies started showing symptoms, and we knew then that we could just not afford to take them to the vets. We needed to tackle this thing on our own. We did our research, and found success stories, and we thought we would take on the challenge. Only then did we realise just how aggressive this thing was and how unequipped we were to deal with it. Chunk was in the worst condition. He died in front of us on new years day at 5am in the morning. When we went to check on the rest of them that morning we found Buddhi had already passed away as well. We felt so helpless. I just remember the way Linda looked at me with such a sad face when we carried Buddhi's body out. It was a very sad new years day. At that point, we'd been caring for them around the clock, trying to deal with it at home, but now after seeing this we knew that it just wasn't good enough. So, we took the remaining 4 (Linda, Blackie, Bob & Linda) directly to the Mais Vida, Veterinary Hospital in Viseu, knowing that we couldn't afford it, but also knowing that we'd put so much love into these guys and that we were going to do the best we could for them while under our care. We knew that somehow we'd find a way.
Since then they've been in the care of the Mais Vida Veterinary Hospital in Viseu. Tai was released on the 3rd of Jan and is now recovering at home, and only 2 days after Blackie was released. The vet bill for Tai alone came to 450 euros for the operation and 350 euros for the internment & Parvo treatment. We covered these costs thanks to people who kindly donated in the appeal we launched in the previous campaign, but now that campaign has reached it's end date and so we need to start this new one.
When we received the bill for Blackie it came to 342 euros and now the person who was going to care for her has decided that she is unable to, so must also find her a new home now (featured in the main photo where Fran is holding Blackie, above).
Today we received notice that White Paw had passed away this morning. It was very sad and unfortunate. White Paw's owners had already taken him on for a few weeks, but then needed to go back to UK for their own reasons and so they asked us to take care of him until they came back in January. Since the incident started they've stated quite clearly that they're unable to afford such a bill and so we have to trust that and therefore we have taken on the responsibility of paying the bill for his internment and medication costs while at the vet hospital in Viseu. We still don't know what these costs will be.
In the meantime, 2 bundles are still fighting for their lives - Linda & Bob and we're going to do the best we can for them. Linda's owner has already donated a very generous and substantial amount towards Tai's operation, and more, so we can't ask them to give more than they can afford to. Bob's new carers were friends who'd said to us that they'd take Bob if we didn't find an owner by January. Obviously, they weren't expecting such a bill either so whether they'll be able to afford it will be questionable and we may have to foot the bill for that also. We believe that they would make very good and responsible owners, but we know that they may not be able to afford it also, so we'd like to at least try and raise some financial support through this campaign.
We don't really know yet what the costs will be at the end of this, but we felt so encouraged by the kindness of people who donated to our previous campaign and our friends & supporters who suggested that we try it again, so we thought, now that we need it more than ever, perhaps we can try it again, and see what kind support we can muster for the remaining battle.
It feels sad for us to be asking for money again, so we ask, only give if you really feel you want to. Nothing will be too much or too little. Any kindness will be appreciated.