13 Bundles of Abundance

Update posted by Fran Moulder On Jan 03, 2017

We have everything crossed for the 4 remaining pups in the Vets recovering from Parvo. Due to a change in circumstances of the planned owner for Blackie, we are now looking for someone who would like to take care of this sweet pup. She is quite a shy dog who requires a patient owner who can provide regular companionship.

After doing some research, once Blackie returns home here to Quinta das Moitas, and has been given the all clear, as a precaution we will continue to care for her for 3-4 weeks so there is no chance of spreading the virus to any other dogs or land.

Please, if you would like to consider becoming Blackie's new owner and you have any worries about the virus contaminating any other dogs/land, then please do your research and let us know.

Thank you so much for all of your help.


Add a Comment

Update posted by Millo Magnocavallo On Jan 03, 2017

Only 1 or 2 days after Tai returned home from the vets. He suddenly stopped eating and soon after that he started throwing up any water that he drank, which then progressed onto yellow bile. It was so sad, and my heart was crying out to him. I pleaded for him not to die as I rushed him to the vets. Soon after being interned they came back with a diagnosis that he'd contracted Parvo Virus. I don't understand how this could have happened. There has never been any Parvo here before, and why, after only 2 days of him returning home from the vets did he contract such a disease? The vets would not take responsiblilty for the fact that he could have picked it up from there while he was in their care.

Then things got from bad to worse. The rest of the puppies started showing symptoms as well. We knew we didn't have enough funding to take them to the vets again, considering what they were charging, so we did our research and tried to care for them at home. We gave them high doses of colloidal silver, activated charcoal and propolis. The most important thing however seemed to be keeping them hydrated, but what a task, with 6 puppies remaining. How do we take on such a huge task. Nevertheless we tried. Chunk was suffering the worst, so we took him inside to care for him, but we had no idea what we were dealing with. At 6:00am in the morning of the 1st of January 2017 he died in our care. It was horrible. When we went to see how the others were doing we found Buddhi had already passed away. Linda's face was so sad when we took Buddhi's body out of the barn. I'll never forget that face. Now she is the one in worst condition, and fighting for her life, however we knew then that we were not equipped to deal with this aggressive virus. We took them all immediately to the vets, again. We had no choice. They were the only one's we could find open on new years day, and somehow we felt that they should take some responsibility considering that it potentially came from their premises.

Now Linda, Bob, Blacky and White Claw (now Seal) are in intensive care at the vet hospital in Viseu where Tai was being cared for. Linda is weak, and struggling, but we're holding hope for her. I believe that maybe with the others we got them into care quick enough so I believe their chances will be good.

The good news is that we saw Tai, and he's alive and well. One small thing to be overwhelmingly happy about.

We're not asking for any more money. Somehow we'll find it. But this will be quite a big bill, they will be charging us in the vicinity of 100 euros a day for all of them and they've told us that they'll probably need to be interned for a week ...

We'd just like to express our sincere appreciation to everyone who donated. It's what's kept us going this far, and I do believe, that even though we've lost two of our puppies, the alpha and the omega, we shall keep the core of them alive and deliver them to their caring new owners.

Due to the virulent and resilient nature of Parvo Virus we have had to cremate their bodies.

In memory of Chunk and Buddhi. We Love You. Rest in Peace.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Millo Magnocavallo On Dec 17, 2016

This morning we woke up to crys of pain from Tai :-(

He didn't seem able to move. We took him inside and examined him and it seemed to me as though he was rearing his right rear leg to protect his rib cage area where we felt something but weren't sure what it was. This evening we decided that it was too much. Whenever he tried moving he broke out in cries of pain, so we figured it had to be something serious and that we needed to get him some medical attention. The nearest vet that we found open was in Mangualde, 40 minutes drive away. When I got him there the vet took him in and examined him and quickly noticed that his leg was broken, in the tibia (see x-ray sent by vet below). We don't know how this happened. I guess he could have fallen from somewhere, it's hard to tell. Regardless of this, the vet has said that if we don't operate then it won't heal properly and could affect his quality of life. He's now in the animal hospital in Viseu, under sedation/pain killers and they are awaiting our answer with respects to whether we want to go ahead with the surgery or not. They said it would need a pin to hold it. They said that normally an operation like this would cost 500 euros. I explained our circumstances to them, regarding our inability to fund this right now, and they said that the best they can offer us is that they could do it for the same price that they charge animal shelters, which would be 350 euros. We already spent 22 euros for the consultation and 25 for the X-rays, which we took out of the main lot of the puppy fund, which now leaves us with about 150 euros, which we will continue to use for buying food and hopefully last until January when all the owners are due to pick up the rest of the 7 pups (Linda & Chunkalunk, Blacky & Buddhi, White Paw & Tai and Bob). I did mention in a previous update that we were going to get Bunda, the mother, spayed, but now this will have to take priority and then later we'll have to see if we have enough funds for her operation.

Right now however, we're putting out an emergency shout out to anyone that is in a position, and feels kind enough to help contribute towards Tai's operation I don't really feel that I can let Tai down, and so one way or another I want to go through with this. If I don't come up with the money then I'll have to try offer to pay it in instalments. I've asked the people who are taking Tai in January whether they can contribute something but the answer was sadly zero, which also sadly makes me realise that I need to reconsider whether they are the right owners. He's a great dog, and I'll give him to whoever I feel will offer him the best home. Right now though, I need to get him sorted, and so if anyone can help, even if it's just sharing this with your friends who you feel could help with a donation, then please do so. I need to try and come up with something by Monday.

I urge you to please help in whatever way you can.

Thank you and Kind Regards.

Millo


Add a Comment

Update posted by Millo Magnocavallo On Nov 26, 2016

Thank you all so much for donating!!! We're still receiving donations and that's great! We think we have owners assigned for all of the puppies now. Some may not be eventually picked up until January next year so we will continue to take care of them here on the farm until the new carers are ready. Wow, a sense of relief to know that we've made it through to this point!

Our next step, and perhaps our most challenging, will be to get Bunda, the wild mother, and take her to the vets to have her spayed. Unfortunately with 2 males around she will not be able to hang around here without getting pregnant again at some point, and although we'd like to take care of her, she will need an operation to have her sterilised, along with the two males also, however getting her through this process will not be easy. She still does not let us touch her, so we'll have to administer tablets to put her to sleep and then go through the logistics of taking her to someone that we can trust.

Stay tuned!

Obviously, all these procedures are not going to be free, so if anyone wishes to continue donating then they are very welcome and it would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Fran Moulder On Nov 15, 2016

On Saturday, Millo and I are accompanying Joba, Wolfy, White paw, Tai, Bob and Bindi to a local market in Barril da Alva, to see if we find their guardians to be. Bindi is the only female.

Joba

Wolfy

White paw

Tai

Bob

Bindi

Add a Comment

Update posted by Fran Moulder On Nov 15, 2016

On the 5th of December I'll be travelling down to the Algarve to re home Buddhi and Blackie with Jeanet Annoff.

Keep watching this page for more updates. :)

Add a Comment

Update posted by Fran Moulder On Nov 04, 2016

All the pups got weighed the other day. Chunkalunk was the heavy weight, weighing in at 5kgs while Buddhi was the feather weight weighing in at a little over 3kgs. Here Millo and I are preparing to weigh sweet Buddhi.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Fran Moulder On Oct 27, 2016

As the puppies are now 7 weeks old we can start to re-home them in about a week or so. Some we will keep for longer, as requested by the future guardians.

The great news is we now have homes for several puppies!

Chunkalunk, the big fella below, is going to an animal loving family, Aart and Stephanie and their two girls.


Also going to the family is beautiful girl Linda, the one with her head turned to the left below.

Runi, the beautiful pup on the right, is going to our friends and neighbours, Emil and Sara.

Junior is going to Lynn and Richard and their girls.

Thank you all so much for your continued support! Feel free to share this campaign with your dog loving friends, not only to raise funds but also to re-home the remaining 9 puppies!

photo

Thank you so much Rolf for your donation!

Fran Moulder

Update posted by Nov 04

photo

Thank you so much Carla for your donation!

Fran Moulder

Update posted by Nov 04

Add a Comment

photo

Good luck

anne hugh-white

Backed with €5.00 On Dec 19, 2016

photo

For poor little Tai....❤

Stephanie and Aart Van der Sluijs

Backed with €350.00 On Dec 18, 2016

photo

❤❤❤

Luka Makic

Posted On Dec 09, 2016

photo

For all those hungry, fast growing bundles... ☺

Stephanie & Aart Van der Sluijs

Backed with €50.00 On Dec 08, 2016

photo

Anonymous

Backed with €15.00 On Nov 25, 2016

photo

Elle Reid

Backed with €20.00 On Nov 17, 2016

photo

Puppy Love!

Lisa Roulstone

Backed with €20.00 On Nov 10, 2016

photo

Rolf Huismans

Backed with €30.00 On Nov 04, 2016

photo

Carla den Nieuwenhoop

Backed with €10.00 On Nov 03, 2016

photo

Thank you so much Karin! Obrigada from the Portuguese mountains. :)

Fran Moulder

Posted On Nov 03, 2016

SHOW MORE COMMENTS
Add a Comment

photo

Millo Magnocavallo

Campaign Owner

flag pt

send a message

http://quintadasmoitas.com

photo

Fran Moulder

Social Media Support Manager

send a message

photo

ciaran cleere

Following Since Dec 31, 2016

photo

Bachar Ahmad

Following Since Dec 30, 2016

photo

anne hugh-white

Following Since Dec 19, 2016

photo

Riet D\\\'hoore

Following Since Nov 01, 2016

photo

stefNgaz Shambala

Following Since Oct 26, 2016

photo

Rolf Huismans

Following Since Oct 26, 2016

photo

Fran Moulder

Following Since Oct 25, 2016